[News] Openness in Government Promoted in the UK, France Needs it Also

  • Subject: [News] Openness in Government Promoted in the UK, France Needs it Also
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 05 Oct 2009 17:41:06 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

The Three Laws of Open Government Data

,----[ Quote ]
| Yesterday, at the Right To Know Week panel discussion -
| Conference for Parliamentarians: Transparency in the
| Digital Era - organized by the Office of the Information
| Commissioner I shared three laws for Open Government Data
| that I'd devised on the flight from Vancouver.
|
|     The Three Laws of Open Government Data:
|
|        1. If it canât be spidered or indexed, it doesnât
|        exist
|        2. If it isnât available in open and machine
|        readable format, it canât engage
|        3. If a legal framework doesnât allow it to be
|        repurposed, it doesnât empower
`----

http://eaves.ca/2009/09/30/three-law-of-open-government-data/

Calling Open Data Developers: We need your help

,----[ Quote ]
| From today we are inviting developers to show government
| how to get the future public data site right - how to find
| and use public sector information.
`----

http://blogs.cabinetoffice.gov.uk/digitalengagement/post/2009/09/30/Calling-Open-Data-Developers-We-need-your-help.aspx

FR: 'Governments should make their public data available on-line'

,----[ Quote ]
| Governments should make their public data available on-line
| to all, Jean-Louis Missika, deputy mayor of Paris said on
| Thursday. Such data could be used to create real time
| services and geo-location services.
`----

http://www.osor.eu/news/fr-governments-should-make-their-public-data-available-on-line

Recent:

Show us the data now damnit! Excuses are running out.

,----[ Quote ]
| A very interesting paper from Caroline Savage
| and Andrew Vickers was published in PLoS ONE
| last week detailing an empirical study of data sharing
| of PLoS journal authors. The results themselves, that
| one out ten corresponding authors provided data, are not
| particularly surprising, mirroring as they do previous
| studies, both formal [pdf] and informal (also from Vickers, I
| assume this is a different data set), of data sharing.
`----

http://blog.openwetware.org/scienceintheopen/2009/09/21/show-us-the-data-now-damnit-excuses-are-running-out/

Open Source Digital Voting Foundation

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the signal failures of digital technology in
| recent years has been e-voting. Practically every high-
| profile attempt to switch from quaint analogue
| technologies to swish new digital ones has proved a
| complete and utter disaster. But taking a closer look at
| these failures it becomes evident that the problem is
| not so much e-voting itself, as the toxic combination of
| e-voting with black-box software.
|
| The problem is quite simple. If you can't see what the
| software is doing by looking at the code, you can't
| possible trust it. And e-voting without trust is about
| as useful as the proverbial chocolate teapot.
|
| The solution is equally obvious: mandate open source
| solutions so that the code can be checked before use.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=2537&blogid=14

New EU website goes live

,----[ Quote ]
| The European Commission will today (21 September) launch a
| revamped version of its Europa website. After two years of
| analysis and review, the EU executive hopes its new central
| web portal will make for a simpler, more organised
| experience for EU citizens.
`----

http://www.euractiv.com/en/pa/new-eu-website-goes-live/article-185604

Ideas sought for open government

,----[ Quote ]
| A DIY guide to becoming an MP and a database of the connections between the
| powerful could soon be created online.
|
| The two ideas are among those being considered by MySociety - a charitable
| group that helps construct civic tools.

Transparency against malpractic

,----[ Quote ]

`----