[News] Google Says TPB Omission a Mistake; Copyright Brainwash Carries On

  • Subject: [News] Google Says TPB Omission a Mistake; Copyright Brainwash Carries On
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 06 Oct 2009 13:30:14 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Google says sorry for booting Pirate Bay

,----[ Quote ]
| RED-FACED GOOGLE claimed that an error caused its search
| engine to remove The Pirate Bay from its search pages.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1557306/google-sorry-booting-pirate-bay

US Chamber Of Commerce Makes Up Things About Intellectual Property

,----[ Quote ]
| Where to start? Well, how about that $200 billion number?
| It's made up. Almost entirely. Both the GAO and the OECD
| looked into the numbers bandied about by the Chamber of
| Commerce and other lobbying groups and found (oops) that
| they were exaggerated, sometimes by an order of magnitude
| or more.
|
| As for the claim that "foreign governments" are trying to
| "weaken IP laws?" Again, totally made up. Around the globe,
| almost all of the efforts have been for strengthening, not
| weakening IP laws. And, again, studies have shown that
| stronger IP laws do not correlate to greater innovation,
| and often the reverse.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20091001/0410036386.shtml

They should be fined for lying.

Recent:

EMI Tries To Hide Kids Education Anti-Piracy Objective

,----[ Quote ]
| A music industry consultant has changed her Linkedin
| profile when it was revealed that the music lessons sheâs
| giving in schools arenât quite as they seem. Ruth Katz, who
| worked in anti-piracy enforcement for EMI and still works
| for the company as a consultant, is lecturing kids as young
| as five on anti-piracy issues.
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/emi-tries-to-hide-kids-education-anti-piracy-objective-091004/

EMI To Mom & Pops: Eat Cake Bitch

,----[ Quote ]
| So let me get this straight. EMI intends to save money by not selling their
| CDâs to independent retailers. Instead they want these retailers to go to one
| stops for their product.
`----

http://www.waynerosso.com/2009/06/30/emi-to-mom-pops-eat-cake/

Back to school with RIAA-funded copyright curriculum

,----[ Quote ]
| School kids in American could certainly stand to learn
| about copyright in the classroomâit's a fascinating
| topic that increasingly impacts the life of every
| "digital native" and intersects with law, history, art,
| and technology. But should they be exposed to industry-
| funded materials meant to teach kids:
|
| That taking music without paying for it ("songlifting")
| is illegal and unfair to others (RIAA)
| Why illegally downloading music hurts more people than
| they think (ASCAP)
| How the DVD-sniffing dogs, Lucky and Flo, help uncover
| film piracy (MPAA)
| To use problem-solving approaches to investigate and
| understand film piracy (The Film Foundation)
| The importance of using legal software as well as the
| meaning of copyright laws and why it's essential to
| protect copyrighted works such as software (Business
| Software Alliance)
`----

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2009/09/back-to-school-with-riaa-funded-curriculum.ars

Michael Robertson Wants To Crowdsource Proof Of EMI's Lies: You Lie EMI Bookmarklet Available

,----[ Quote ]
| EMI has been involved in a lawsuit with MP3Tunes for a
| while now. The whole lawsuit seems weird, since
| MP3Tunes is about creating a storage locker for the
| songs you already have. But one of the points that
| MP3Tunes made in response to EMI's claims is that EMI
| was lying in saying that it has never authorized MP3s
| to be available online.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090916/1907106215.shtml

Canadian Copyright Levy Group Wants New iPod Tax... But It's Not Really For The Artists

,----[ Quote ]
| But they're back at it again. And it's really no wonder.
| Already the cost of a blank CD in Canada has an astounding
| 90% of the price go to this levy. But what happens to all
| that money? Well, the CPCC claims that it needs this levy to
| sustain the livelihood of artists. That's also its reasoning
| for extending it to iPods. But, Howard Knopf dug into the
| numbers a bit and notes how laughable that claim is. First,
| CPCC claims that its brought in over $150 million from the
| blank CD levy, and handed it out to 97,000 rights holders
| "most of whom would not be able to continue their careers
| without this revenue."
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090914/1830116188.shtml

Related:

The war on photographers - you're all al Qaeda suspects now

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/06/23/police_photographer_stops/

MPAA: We Don't Need No Stinking Evidence!

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://technologyexpert.blogspot.com/2008/06/mpaa-we-dont-need-no-stinking-evidence.html