[News] Reviews and Overview of Many Great GNU/Linux Applications

  • Subject: [News] Reviews and Overview of Many Great GNU/Linux Applications
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 06 Oct 2009 22:27:42 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Top 3 Linux password managers

,----[ Quote ]
| KeepassX is an application for people with extremly
| high demands on secure personal data management. It
| has a light interface, is cross platform and
| published under the terms of the GNU General Public
| License.
`----

http://www.unixmen.com/linux-tutorials/426-top-3-linux-password-managers

Emesene 1.5 - The BEST Messenger for MSN?

,----[ Quote ]
| Emesene 1.5 is one of the best instant messengers
| available for use with the MSN Network thanks to its
| massive feature set (which includes full webcam
| support), super stable nature and all-round ease of
| use.
`----

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2009/10/msn-webcam-linux.html

Imagination, a light weight DVD slideshow maker for Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Imagination is a lightweight and simple DVD slide
| show maker written in C language and built with the
| GTK+2 toolkit, there are some other GUIs which do the
| job, but they usually require a lot of dependencies
| to be installed first and often their interfaces are
| bloated. Imagination has been designed from the
| ground up to be fast, light and easy-to-use.
`----

http://www.unixmen.com/linux-tutorials/432-imagination-a-light-weight-dvd-slideshow-maker-for-linux

Twinkle Softphone: Review

,----[ Quote ]
| Twinkle seems to be one of the most ambitious Linux
| softphones.  This free open source softphone offers
| voice communications and instant messaging using SIP
| protocol. Twinkle is one of the most widely used SIP
| softphones. It's popularity can be given to the fact
| that it is available in the stable repos in the main
| distros (Ubuntu, OpenSuse and Fedora). The VoIP
| application uses Qt toolkit for its graphical user
| interface. For calls Twinkle uses the session
| Initiation Protocol (widely used for controlling
| multimedia communication sessions such as voice calls
| over IP). It can be used for straight IP to IP calls
| as well as in a network using a SIP proxy to route
| your calls and messages. Let's delve into its key
| feature of Twinkle to find out where does it stand in
| the queue of open source softphones.
`----

http://blog.taragana.com/index.php/archive/twinkle-softphone-review/

Exaile 0.3.0 is a Music Player for Ubuntu

,----[Quote  ]
| Multimedia is important component of an OS and Linux
| has plenty of options to handle multimedia,
| especially music. Exaile is a music manager and
| player for GTK+ written in Python and incorporates
| many features including support for several portable
| players.
`----

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/3616/exaile-0.3.0-on-ubuntu/

A Free Open Source Alternative to Microsoft Visio

,----[ Quote ]
| Now let us check out DIA-  it is a 16.5 MB download
| from Sourceforge over here. It is also available for
| Linux and can probably be run on a Mac as well. If
| you have experience with DIA on either operating
| system we would love to hear from you in the
| comments! We will be working with the Windows version
| in this article.
|
| [...]
|
| For me this free Visio alternative is wonderful!
`----

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/a-free-open-source-alternative-to-microsoft-visio/

Record screencasts with open source Webinaria

,----[ Quote ]
| If youâve ever had to try to create a training
| demonstration, you know how helpful a screencast can
| be. If youâre not sure what a screencast is just
| think of it as a video capture of you working on your
| PC. This is an incredible educational tool that users
| can watch to see how to do things. There are a number
| of tools out there to do this, but only a handful of
| them are free. Webinaria goes even further and opens
| its source up to the users.
`----

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/window-on-windows/?p=1618

Related:

10 KDE Audio/Video Players

,----[ Quote ]
| SMPlayer - SMPlayer is not exactly a KDE application since it doesn't use KDE
| libraries, but it's built in Qt 4. It uses the MPlayer engine, and overall is
| one of the most powerful video players I've used. Also, I noticed MPlayer
| performs better than Xine (considering CPU resources), at least when playing
| high resolution movies.
`----

http://vivapinkfloyd.blogspot.com/2008/07/10-kde-audiovideo-players.html

10 Best KDE Applications - Reloaded