[News] (GNU/)Linux Mint No Trailer to Windows and Mac OS X

  • Subject: [News] (GNU/)Linux Mint No Trailer to Windows and Mac OS X
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 06 Oct 2009 22:44:01 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Linux Mint, the perfect starter OS for Mac and Windows refugees.

,----[ Quote ]
| There's a leaner version of Mint which uses XFCE as a
| desktop environment, but the default distribution is so
| drop-dead gorgeous I can't give it up. And if it runs
| acceptably fast on a bargain-basement netbook, I'm sure
| it will scream on a properly-spec'd desktop or notebook
| computer.
|
| I just wish I had put Linux Mint on my old MacBook
| before I gave it to my sister in law. She'd had never
| known the difference...
`----

http://acurrie.posterous.com/linux-mint-the-perfect-starter-os-for-mac-and

Recent:

Linux Mint

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux Mint addresses lots of problems that kept people on the
| Microsoft habit.   Having to mount the drives.  The single
| click launching of programs.   The hassle of installing
| programs.  Linux Mintâs installs are less painful than
| Microsoft.  As of yet there are not lots of garbage shareware
| programs you âmust installâ so you can get some other feature.
`----

http://dweddle.wordpress.com/2009/10/04/linux-mint/

Linux Mint 7 XFCE: Screenshots

,----[ Quote ]
| While Ubuntu continues to be the focus of Linux hype and
| momentum, there is an increasing number of Ubuntu-based
| distributions appearing as well.
`----

http://www.zdnet.com.au/insight/software/soa/Linux-Mint-7-XFCE-Screenshots/0,139023769,339298671,00.htm

Linux Mint 7 XFCE released

,----[ Quote ]
| The developers note that the Deluge BitTorrent Client has been replaced by
| Transmission and that the VLC Media Player, Tomboy, Samba, Vim and all of the
| old artwork has been removed to save space.
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/Linux-Mint-7-XFCE-released--/news/114226

Linux Mint 7 'Gloria' Now with XFCE 4.6.0

,----[ Quote ]
| Clement Lefebvre has announced the release of the Linux Mint 7 "Gloria" XFCE
| edition, a community-maintained modification of the standard Linux Mint
| distribution that uses the XFCE desktop environment by default. There are a
| lot of changes in this new version, and, among the base packages, you will
| find the Linux 2.6.28 kernel, Xorg 7.4 and XFCE 4.6.
`----

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Linux-Mint-7-quot-Gloria-quot-Now-With-XFCE-4-6-0-121548.shtml

Linux Mint 7 XFCE Review

,----[ Quote ]