[News] All Eyes on KDE 4.4, Good Feedback from Users

  • Subject: [News] All Eyes on KDE 4.4, Good Feedback from Users
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 07 Oct 2009 22:30:12 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

device notifier work for 4.4

,----[ Quote ]
| It was interesting to read Johan Thelin's blog entry on
| moving to KDE 4, particularly how much he likes the device
| notifier. I say this because that Plasma widget has been
| seeing a flurry of activity for KDE 4.4 so the timing was
| pretty neat.
|
| [...]
|
| You can grab the OGG file here or watch the screencast via
| blip.tv below (though it is inexplicably enlarged; very
| odd)...
`----

http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2009/10/device-notifier-work-for-44.html

managing change during KDE's evolution

,----[ Quote ]
| KDE has gone through an impressive evolution of
| organizational, procedural and community related changes
| over its lifespan. What started out as a "in-our-spare-
| time" project became a critical component in many F/OSS
| operating systems.
`----

http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2009/10/managing-change-during-kdes-evolution.html

I don't get KDE

,----[ Quote ]
| I look at that and see hope. It is elegant and refined. It
| is glassy and tasteful. It says: "I can easily compete
| with Windows 7 and OSX." Simply put, it is beautiful.
|
| Yes, there are some problems with it. The buttons do not
| highlight in any way on hover. There are no tooltips, so I
| don't even know what the top two buttons do. From what I
| can tell, they do absolutely nothing. But it really lives
| up to KDE's reputation of eye candy.
`----

http://jpobst.blogspot.com/2009/10/i-dont-get-kde.html

KDE 4: Recap

,----[ Quote ]
| I have had a fair deal of trouble with KDE 4, especially
| with brand new users.  Many are amazed, including myself,
| of all that it can do.
`----

http://jonreagan.wordpress.com/2009/10/06/kde-4-recap/

Recent:

Trying the netbook project made easy

,----[ Quote ]
| So new features for 4.4 are that:
|
| 1: plasma style selection is moved from behind right
| click on desktop, to system settings where are icons,
| themes and colors?
|
| 2: The independent dashboard option is moved from
| plasma settings what is shown when user zooms out
| activies, to "Desktop" place on system settings?
`----

http://www.notmart.org/index.php/Software/Trying_the_netbook_project_made_

So you want to know how important KDE 4 is?

,----[ Quote ]
| Iâve followed and written about the development of
| the KDE 4.0 project on the old version of this blog.
| Until now however, Iâve never addressed the criticism
| that some sections of the Linux community have heaped
| on it. So Iâll just start with this post in the
| blogosphere that caught my eye.
`----

http://softvision.wordpress.com/2009/10/04/so-you-want-to-know-how-important-kde-4-is/

How Important is KDE 4?

,----[ Quote ]
| So, how important is KDE 4?  To the KDE project, it
| is absolutely crucial.  I hate to say it, but it
| looks as if KDE 4 has become KDEâs âVista.â   The KDE
| reputation has been tainted with a divided community,
| mediocre products, and a seeming lack of solid
| direction.  I can only hope KDE becomes stable at
| some point in the near future, perhaps by choosing to
| make their â4.5â release their stable release fit for
| refinement and development, much like with KDE 3.5.
| Perhaps creating that stable environment for people
| to improve upon could lead to the creation of a new,
| thriving community, one just as influential as the
| one when KDE 3.5 was around.  Otherwise, they may
| lose the market they have fought so hard to gain.
`----

http://jonreagan.wordpress.com/2009/10/03/how-important-is-kde-4/

Plasma in KDE 4.4

,----[ Quote ]