[News] Freedomware Initiative Explained

Introduction to Freedomware

http://freedomwareproject.org/enter/?p=22

James Hall on Free and Open Source Software

,----[ Quote ]
| Free software is a matter of of the users' freedom to
| run, copy, distribute, study, change, improve the
| software. Like open source software, a free software
| license requires that the source code be made
| available - otherwise the user would not be able
| to study, change, improve the program. In this
| usage, the term "free" refers to freedom, not
| price. This is also the origin of the meme "Free
| as in speech, not as in beer."
`----

http://scienceblogs.com/collectiveimagination/2009/10/james_hall_on_free_and_open_so.php?utm_source=sbhomepage&utm_medium=link&utm_content=channellink

Recent:

The Freedomware Project Manifesto

,----[ Quote ]
| In addition, large software corporations often inhibit sharing of ideas
| by not allowing the user to share the software with other people.
| Software patents exist in order to prevent individuals from outdoing
| the large organizations who wish to retain that âcompetitive edge.â
| Having the source code was out of the question, and woe be unto those
| who shared copies with other people, despite the fact that the software
| in question was vastly overpriced. This is why organizations such as
| the Free Software Foundation and the Open Source Initiative exists.
`----

http://www.freedomwareproject.org/index.html

Related:

Freedomware?