[News] Intellectual Monopolies Attack YouTube Art

  • Subject: [News] Intellectual Monopolies Attack YouTube Art
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 08 Oct 2009 19:09:52 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Fantastic Student Music Video to I Gotta Feeling! Gotta Be Banned?

,----[ Quote ]
| This is a classic case of the problems with copyright
| laws, especially as it pertains to music.  Below is a
| completely entertaining student film feature over 100
| performers doing a one-take lip-dub to the Black-Eyed
| Peas' song "I Gotta Feeling."
`----

http://mymediamusings.com/2009/09/29/fantastic-student-music-video-to-i-gotta-feeling-gotta-be-banned/

Dutch Collection Society Looks To Charge Bloggers For Embedding YouTube Videos

,----[ Quote ]
| Over the past year, we've noticed an explosion in
| ridiculous attempts by music collection societies (often
| totally clueless about technology) to extend their
| ability to collect for positively ridiculous things
| (while also looking to significantly increase their
| collection rates). The latest, sent in by Dennis Laumen,
| is that the Dutch collection society, Buma/Stemra, is
| claiming that it's going to start charging bloggers 130
| euros for every 6 videos they embed. This is, of course,
| technologically clueless. The embedding of a video
| doesn't change the fact that it's actually playing from
| and hosted at the original site (such as YouTube). All
| embedding does is allow the video to appear via the other
| page, even though, technically, it's all still happening
| at its original location. Claiming that this is somehow a
| "new" publication of the content is technologically
| incorrect.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20091007/0153146440.shtml

Recent:

Viacom thinks it has found a smoking gun

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1557661/viacom-smoking-gun