[News] Large-scale Free(dom) Software Migrations Noted by Linux Journal

  • Subject: [News] Large-scale Free(dom) Software Migrations Noted by Linux Journal
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 09 Oct 2009 11:42:03 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Open Source Continues To Spread Through Official Circles

,----[ Quote ]
| In the last several years, governments â and
| particularly those in Europe â have been snapping
| up Open Source alternatives like little old
| ladies at Loehmann's. The push towards Open
| continued this week as the Dutch police ditched
| Windows for the rosy cap.
|
| [...]
|
| Choosing Linux is part of a recent policy change
| by the Dutch police â according to the new
| directive, the service will select only Open
| Source options for its technology needs.
| Likewise, a vow to work to advance Open Source
| and open standards was recently made by the Dutch
| Minister of Internal Affairs. Reportedly, the
| shift was the result of the severe criticism
| received after the organization requested 30,000
| Windows systems at the beginning of the year.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/open-source-continues-spread-through-official-circles

Could Your Open Source Project Support a Business?

,----[ Quote ]
| Therefore, to have an open source software
| business, you need to find a type of software
| where there are people who need the source code
| and where there are people who would pay for out
| of the box features, stability, ease of use, and
| support. We think weâve found it with business
| applications software, such as ERP and CRM
| software. Virtually all ERP software, even multi-
| million dollar commercial packages, must be
| customized, so our users will appreciate having
| access to the code. Ease of use, stability, out-
| of-the-box features, and support are things that
| business users are used to paying for as well. It
| was this thinking which led us to create the
| opentaps Open Source ERP + CRM business
| applicaitons suite.
`----

http://www.opensourcestrategies.com/2009/10/08/could-your-open-source-project-support-a-business/

Days ago:

German City MÃnster Launches Pilot Project For its Schools To Adopt Open Source Software

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.egovmonitor.com/node/29337