[News] [Rival] Microsoft Makes Its Licences More Complicated on Purpose

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Makes Its Licences More Complicated on Purpose
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2009 11:09:24 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Does Microsoft complicate its licensing on purpose?

,----[ Quote ]
| Navigating Microsoft's complex rules and
| programs for software licensing has been
| notoriously difficult for businesses -- a
| pain point not lost on the company, which
| for years has said it is trying to
| simplify the process for customers.
|
| But remarks made recently by Microsoft's
| top executive, as well as suspicions
| raised by customers and software
| consultants, suggest that Microsoft keeps
| its licensing complicated for a reason,
| and that it has no plans to make it any
| simpler in the foreseeable future.
|
| [...]
|
| Customers tend to take a big-picture view
| of licensing, according to Elop -- that
| is, they look at the value it adds to
| their businesses overall, rather than
| dwell on the minutia of individual
| licenses required for the products they
| use.
|
| "Customers want the amount they pay to be
| tied to the value that theyâre driving,
| the usage theyâre getting -- thatâs why
| these models are so complicated," he
| said. "For different customers, these
| things are measured in different ways.
|
| "What a customer will do generally is
| take a big step back and say, what am I
| paying for e-mail? What am I paying for
| collaboration? And they will make a
| determination as to whether they think
| thatâs fair value or less than fair
| value," he said.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9139171/Does_Microsoft_complicate_its_licensing_on_purpose_

Recent:

The Difference Between EULAs and Open Source Licenses

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.osnews.com/story/22233/The_Difference_Between_EULAs_and_Open_Source_Licenses