[News] Why Intellectual Monopolies Need Shrinking for Better Works

  • Subject: [News] Why Intellectual Monopolies Need Shrinking for Better Works
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 09:50:39 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Why Creativity Needs Shorter Copyright Terms

| copyright to stimulate creativity, someone
| questioned the logic. It's an important point, so
| it seems useful to do some thinking out loud on the
| subject.
|
| [...]
|
| If we don't, one of two things will happen. Either
| we will fail to realise the full creative potential
| of computing, or else the younger generation of
| artists will simply ignore the law. Either is
| clearly unsatisfactory. What is needed is a
| copyright regime that is balanced. That is far from
| being the case today. As the media industry (sic)
| ratchets up copyright terms again and again,
| creation has become subservient to the corporation,
| and the creators are cut off from their past - and
| hence future.
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2009/10/why-creativity-needs-shorter-copyright.html

Google Digital Library Plan Opposed by German Chancellor

,----[ Quote ]
| Isn't this astonishing? I thought "the goal" of
| copyright was to promote the spread and growth of
| human creativity. Now it appears "the goal" is to
| protect copyright itself. This reminds of
| government school advocates who say they "believe
| in public school"; who oppose any attempt to reform
| or privatize public school because it might
| threaten public schooling--when the goal of public
| schools is supposed to be education.
`----

http://www.againstmonopoly.org/index.php?perm=593056000000001731

Recent:

Two More Pirate Bay Appeal Judges Accused of Bias

,----[ Quote ]
| Earlier this week TorrentFreak reported that there
| had been objections over one of the proposed lay
| judges set for the Pirate Bay appeal. Now there are
| yet more claims of possible bias, this time with two
| of the main judges who have both been members of pro-
| copyright groups.
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/two-more-pirate-bay-appeal-judges-accused-of-bias-090925/

Anti-Pirates Try to Nail The Pirate Bay with Faked Evidence

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/anti-pirates-try-to-nail-the-pirate-bay-with-faked-evidence-091008/