[News] How GIMP Matches Photoshop Habits; Other GNU/Linux Software and Games

  • Subject: [News] How GIMP Matches Photoshop Habits; Other GNU/Linux Software and Games
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 00:07:15 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

10 Sweet GIMP Photo Editing Tricks to Wean You Off Photoshop

,----[ Quote ]
| You could buy a used car -- albeit not a
| very good one -- for the same scratch it
| takes to pick up a copy of Adobe Photoshop,
| the de facto standard in high-end photo
| editing software. Or a pair of GTX 285
| graphics cards for that killer SLI setup
| you've always wanted. We could go on, but
| at $700 for a piece of software,
| Photoshop's MSRP hardly needs put into
| perspective. In short, it's expensive.

Performous: A Challenging and Fun Karaoke Software for Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| I found another cool and fun karaoke
| software for Linux that I would like to
| share to everyone. It is called Performous
| and it's so far one of the best karaoke
| program that I've tried.
| [...]
| The singing octave is not important,
| because as long as you get the right note
| in any octave, you will get full points.
| Singing near the correct note likewise
| gives some points, but the amount of points
| per second decreases as you get farther
| from the right tone. Singing within the
| right semitone consistently gives full
| points, so you may actually be off by a
| quartertone and still get the points.

0 A.D. Promises Real Gaming for Ubuntu

,----[ Quote ]
| And now a brief break from business-
| oriented coverage on WorksWithU. As a
| history Ph.D. student by day and free-
| software geek by night, I find that my
| poles of interest rarely converge.  Thatâs
| why I was so excited when the real-time
| historical strategy game 0 A.D. was
| switched to an open-source license in July.
| Iâve been meaning since then to give it a
| try, and finally found the time and
| hardware necessary to do that.  Here are
| the results.

Episode 121: Transparent Transformations and Getting Rich with GIMP

,----[ Quote ]
| If you want to make an incredible amount of money it is
| a good idea to learn GIMP. Sergey Brin did that, created
| the logo of his startup and got rich.

Five Super Simple Photo Fixes with the GIMP

,----[ Quote ]
| While the GIMP offers a plethora of
| advanced and powerful photo editing
| tools, it also sports a few easy-to-use