[News] Pressure for Government to Choose More Openness

  • Subject: [News] Pressure for Government to Choose More Openness
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 01:02:25 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Hackers wanted: Mashup events target Govt data

,----[ Quote ]
| Lindsay Tanner's Gov 2.0 Taskforce has spawned
| three hacker events in support of its Mashup
| Australia competition â including two hosted
| by Google Australia â as it seeks creative
| ways to use dormant public sector data.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/28471/53/

Recent:

Ideas sought for open government

,----[ Quote ]
| A DIY guide to becoming an MP and a database of the connections between the
| powerful could soon be created online.
|
| The two ideas are among those being considered by MySociety - a charitable
| group that helps construct civic tools.

Transparency against malpractic

,----[ Quote ]
| As a result of my new enthusiasm to 'get out more' I found myself listening
| to a detailed and balanced 'non-advocacy' presentation from a respected OSS
| Watch staffer.
|
| He explained patiently how open source licencing worked and how it differed
| from proprietary licences. But what he did say whilst looking for an everyday
| resonance to make his points accessible to a non-geek audience, and which
| really sharpened every-one's attention, was that proprietary software was
| built on secret code whereas open source software had transparent code.
|
| Proprietary software IS composed of secret code. You can't read it, you don't
| know what it does (other than what you can see it do), you don't know how it
| does it and you can't change it.
`----

http://www.siriusit.co.uk/myblog/secret-code-and-the-damage-it-does-to-our-society.html

Against Transparency