[News] H-P/Compaq Make New Machines That Run Ballnux

  • Subject: [News] H-P/Compaq Make New Machines That Run Ballnux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 01:14:35 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Compaq Desktops Eye Businesses, Bang for the Buck

,----[ Quote ]
| Both are designed for the budget-conscious
| small businessperson, and support various
| flavors of Windows 7, Windows Vista Home
| Basic, Windows XP Pro, Novell SUSE Linux,
| and FreeDOS. The Compaq 500B series
| desktops will be available on October 22,
| with a starting price of $359 for the 500B
| and $409 for the 505B.

HP's Business PC Upgrades to Elite Status

,----[ Quote ]
| The new HP Elite 7000 Business Desktop PC
| can be equipped with high-performance Intel
| Core i7 and i5 processors; up to 8 Gbytes
| of DDR3 SDRAM; up to a 1-terabyte SATA hard
| drive, with an option for a 64-GB SSD; DVD
| and Blu-ray burners; either ATI and Nvidia
| discrete graphics, and up to four PCIe
| expansion cards. The HP Elite 7000 supports
| the several flavors of Windows 7, Windows
| XP Pro, Windows Vista Business, Novell SUSE
| Linux Enterprise, and the FreeDOS operating
| system.

Compaq offers 500B, 505B budget desktop PCs; start at $359

,----[ Quote ]
| The 500B (pictured at top) starts at $359
| and nets you Windows 7 Professional (or XP
| Pro, or Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise
| Desktop 11), Intel Pentium dual-core or
| Celeron processors, up to 4GB of DDR3 SDRAM
| (1333Mhz), 160GB SATA 7,200 RPM hard drive
| (up to 500GB), a DVD-ROM drive (writer
| optional), Intel GMA 3100 graphics (Nvidia
| GeForce G210 or ATi Radeon HD 4350
| optional) and 802.11 b/g/n.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/gadgetreviews/?p=8366

Recent:

SUSE Studio: Too Good To Be True?

,----[ Quote ]
| I just built my own Linux distribution through my browser. It can be ran as a
| Live CD or installed on your system. No, you did read that correctly. I
| actually used Firefox to build my own SUSE-based distro. Sometimes technology
| throws curveballs at us that are so unbelievable youâd have to read the
| statement several times to realize that you arenât hallucinating. Do you
| think Iâm writing a piece of science fiction? Enter SUSE Studio.
`----

http://www.itnewstoday.com/?p=766

Hands on with SUSE Studio

,----[ Quote ]
| A Novell employee once told us that, in yesteryear when Novell's marketing
| team were pushing brands faster than their coders were pushing software,
| Novell could easily have switched over to being a T-shirt manufacturing
| company. It seems their love of marketing hasn't died out, because TuxRadar
| HQ recently accepted delivery of a suspicious box. Upon opening it, we found
| this:
|
| Inside was a bag containing dozens of different parts, some plastic, others
| carefully cut foam. Next to that was a card pointing us towards the assembly
| instructions and, 10 minutes or so later, we were the, er, proud owners of
| one of these:
|
| Great success! And even more fun than building a distro with SUSE Studio...
`----

http://www.tuxradar.com/content/hands-suse-studio

REVIEW: SUSE Studio Is a Boon for Organizations Using Novell's Linux Distros

,----[ Quote ]
| SUSE Studio is a Web-based service for creating software appliances on
| Novell's family of SUSE Linux-based operating systems. SUSE Studio could
| prove very useful for any individual or organization that uses Novell's Linux
| distributions by easing complex customization tasks.
`----

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Linux-and-Open-Source/REVIEW-SUSE-Studio-Is-a-Boon-for-Organizations-Using-Novells-Linux-Distros-682485/

SUSE Studio: The Do-it-Yourself Linux

,----[ Quote ]