[News] Leak Shows That MySQL Had Plans to Devour Oracle, Not the Other Way Around

  • Subject: [News] Leak Shows That MySQL Had Plans to Devour Oracle, Not the Other Way Around
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 15:10:22 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Sun Microsystems "Project Peter" targets Oracle to MySQL migrations to boost sales

,----[ Quote ]
| The PDF file presents an internal
| presentation of Sun Microsystems on
| "Project Peter", a Sun confidential project
| to migrate customers using Oracle onto the
| MySQL database system.
|
| In a statement towards the EU, former CEO
| of MySQL, Marten Mickos, wrote:
|
| MySQL was able to derive significant
| marketing benefit from appearing to
| challenge Oracle, but we penetrated the
| markets faster by, in reality, focusing on
| new, huge opportunities such as Web
| databases. Key to MySQL's success was its
| determined focus on markets that Oracle
| (and others) was ignoring.'[1]
|
| This statement, suggesting that MySQL was
| not directly competing with Oracle,
| contradicts the internal presentation,
| showing that targetting Oracle migrations
| indeed was a big part of MySQL's sales
| strategy.
`----

https://secure.wikileaks.org/wiki/Sun_Microsystems_"Project_Peter"_targets_Oracle_to_MySQL_migrations_to_boost_sales

Sun, Oracle chiefs vow: Sun technologies will live on

,----[ Quote ]
| From Java to the Solaris OS to the Sparc
| CPU platform and Sun storage technologies,
| Oracle will be good for all of them, the
| executives stressed at the San Francisco
| event. As a matter of fact, combining Sun's
| research and development budget with Sun's
| presents  "one of the great R&amp;D
| opportunities of all time," McNealy said.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2009/101209-sun-oracle-chiefs-vow-sun.html?fsrc=rss-linux-news

Full Frame: Views of Oracle OpenWorld

http://news.cnet.com/8301-30252_3-10374502-246.html

Recent:

Marten Mickos: Trust the Mighty MySQL Nation

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?RSS&entryid=2580