[News] New Linux-powered Devices: Argosy, WikiReader

  • Subject: [News] New Linux-powered Devices: Argosy, WikiReader
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 23:32:50 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Review: Argosy HV359T Multimedia HDD Player

,----[ Quote ]
| Is it Linux powered?  You bet your bottom
| dollar it is.  That's the part that shocked
| me.  When I first picked it up, I figured that
| I had ended up with something that had a self
| contained IOS that was likely limited and
| proprietary.  Boy was I surprised to find out
| that it wasn't.  And I stumbled onto that fact
| while loading it with test movies.
`----

http://www.raiden.net/articles/review_argosy_hv359t_multimedia_hdd_player/

OpenMoko offline reader puts Wikipedia in your pocket

,----[ Quote ]
| OpenMoko has launched a new product called
| WikiReader, a mobile touchscreen device for
| browsing Wikipedia. Designed for offline
| use, it includes a 4GB SD card with 3
| million Wikipedia articles.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/2009/10/openmoko-offline-reader-puts-wikipedia-in-your-pocket.ars

NXP Selects Timesys as the First Commercial Linux Supplier for LPC313x Microcontroller Series

,----[ Quote ]
| Timesys Corporation (http://www.timesys.com),
| provider of LinuxLink, the first commercial
| software development framework for building
| custom embedded LinuxÂ-based products, today
| announced the first commercial Linux support
| for the LPC313x series of microcontrollers
| from NXP Semiconductors. The LPC313x series
| will be supported by LinuxLink, with
| additional support for the family anticipated
| in future releases.
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/pressRelease/idUS165912+14-Oct-2009+PRN20091014

Recent:

New WikiReader Device Puts Wikipedia in Your Pocket

,----[ Quote ]
| Openmoko announced today the availability
| of WikiReader, a palm-sized electronic
| encyclopedia containing the more than three
| million English language articles of
| Wikipedia that can be accessed immediately
| anytime, anywhere without requiring an
| Internet connection. WikiReader is
| available for $99 at
| http://thewikireader.com and Amazon.com
| starting today.
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/pressRelease/idUS82065+13-Oct-2009+BW20091013

Sean Moss-Pultz, CEO of failed startup OpenMoko, launches WikiReader; AAA-battery powered encyclopedia

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.intomobile.com/2009/10/13/sean-moss-pultz-ceo-of-failed-startup-openmoko-launches-wikireader-aaa-battery-powered-encyclopedia.html