Re: Why GNU/Linux Users Love Their Platform (Unlike Windows Users)

____/ nessuno on Saturday 17 Oct 2009 22:48 : \____

> [...]
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Even if you're not dressing up in costume this
>> | Halloween, you can still get in the spirit of the
>> | holiday. Trick out your computer with some creepy
>> | skins and plugins or treat yourself to a few ghoulish
>> | movies and desktop themes.--By Lisa Hoover
>> |
>> | KDE-Look has plenty of scary, silly, and spooky
>> | Halloween themes for your desktop. Choose from a
>> | variety of pumpkins, skulls, ghosts, and even a Trick
>> | or Treating Pacman.
>> |
>> | GNOME-Look also has a few Halloween themes to choose
>> | from. From dressed-up scarecrows to cinematic scary
>> | guy Michael Myers, you're sure to find something you
>> | like at this site.
>> `----
>>
>> http://ostatic.com/blog/scare-up-some-spooky-halloween-fun-for-your-c...
>>
>> Recent:
>>
>> Linux Live CDs: Why I love them.
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | So what did we learn? Linux is a very versatile operating system that can
>> | run on just about any hardware, with any configuration. Most importantly,
>> | GO GET THE LIVE CD. It will save your ass someday and you will be glad that
>> | you burned that disc.
>> `----
>>
>> http://incommandnotcontrol.wordpress.com/2009/05/10/linux-live-cds-wh...
>>
>> Why I chose GNU/Linux
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | The reason GNU/Linux makes sense to me is that I am a big fan of the âFree
>> | softwareâ ideal. I like the fact that I can take my software and change it
>> | to work for me and that is completely legal. I like that I can freely
>> | distribute the code to anyone I want. I also like knowing that there are
>> | people who see things the same way are there to protect my rights (FSF). I
>> | use GNU/Linux out of a desire to live free and without the threat of
>> | someone installing a rootkit or a spy program to make sure I am using it
>> | the way the company who made it want me to.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.internetling.com/2009/05/10/why-i-chose-gnu-linux/
>
> About a year ago there was an article in the New York Times about
> switching from Windows to Macs, asking for readers' comments.  There
> were several hundred responses, many of them saying things like "I
> could use my XP system all right, but I just *love* my Mac!"  I read
> more than half of them, and there was only one instance of someone who
> switched to a Mac who was considering going back to Windows.  These
> were mostly ordinary users.
>
> For people who love software the ability to open up your Linux system
> to any depth, to explore it and learn how it works, is appealing on a
> deeply emotional level.   The best programmers have a personal
> involvement with the elegance of the algorithms they design and have
> to work with.   For such people software that is intended to shake
> down users or screw the competition is distasteful, while that which
> address the technical issues in an elegant and efficient manner is

It's nice when you can speak directly to developers.

- --
		~~ Best of wishes

> Hi, my name is Rebecca, and I'm a computing whore. -- Rebecca Gray
If I pay you twenty bucks, will you blow my EPROM? -- Joe
 00:05:01 up 4 days,  3:06,  2 users,  load average: 0.25, 0.40, 0.36