Re: Windows license refund donated to Mint

____/ Homer on Saturday 17 Oct 2009 23:47 : \____

> Verily I say unto thee, that Rick spake thusly:
>> This is interesting: <http://www.linuxmint.com/blog/?p=1073>
>>
>> So, if you don't want or need that particular Windows license, you
>> get a refund, showing the vendor there is a demand for machines not
>> bundled with Windows.
>>
>> Then you can help whatever charity you wish to help.
>>
>> The bloatware vendors have helped reduce the price of your machine,
>> and you get a refund and you can help the community. Nice hat trick.
>
> As I already commented in the blog:
>
> I'm not convinced Microsoft foots the bill for this refund, I'm 99% sure
> the OEM/retailer takes the hit.
>
> Read this:
>
> [quote]
> Gateway also faulted another provision of the new licensing agreement,
> which requires PC makers to pay a Windows royalty on every PC shipped,
> even if it didn't include Windows. To top it off, to qualify for market
> development funds, PC makers have to put a Microsoft OS on every PC. As
> a result, trying to sell non-Windows PCs, or even PCs without software,
> is a financial loser for computer makers.
> [/quote]
>
> http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-121675.html
>
> Refunds only hurt the vendors. This is why they're so reluctant to do it
> ... they're contractually obligated to pay Microsoft, regardless.
>
> Unless someone can produce hardcopy proof that vendors are actually
> receiving refunds from Microsoft, via itemised and signed invoices, I
> simply don't believe it's happening.
>
> Here are the only ways to absolutely ensure Microsoft don't benefit
> financially from the computer you own:
>
> 1. Assemble your own PC from components (not cheap, and impossible for
>    laptops)
> 2. Buy a Mac, or some other non-Wintel system (e.g. ARM Smartbook)
> 3. Buy a second-hand system through a private sale (non-commercial)
> 4. Don't buy computers at all
>
> Although even step 3 benefits Microsoft at least once, the first time
> the PC is purchased, so basically that cuts the list down to just 3
> methods, one of which is completely unacceptable (don't buy computers),
> and another of which is mostly impossible (assemble a laptop from
> components). Macs are high quality hardware (I say nothing about OS X),
> but it's questionable whether they're really worth the extra money. So
> that just leaves "build your own desktop" and "buy a non-Intel
> architecture machine" (i.e. one completely incompatible with Windows).
>
> There is another "method", of course: Campaign to shut down this
> monopoly. Government(s) need to intervene to stop this racketeering.
> Doing something as simple as buying a computer /without/ financially
> benefiting those gangsters in Redmond should /never/ be this difficult.

It's all good. It pressures OEMs to stop "Windows-only"...

- --
		~~ Best of wishes

> Hi, my name is Rebecca, and I'm a computing whore. -- Rebecca Gray
If I pay you twenty bucks, will you blow my EPROM? -- Joe
 00:05:01 up 4 days,  3:06,  2 users,  load average: 0.25, 0.40, 0.36