[News] SJVN Explains How to Approach GNU/Linux as New Users

  • Subject: [News] SJVN Explains How to Approach GNU/Linux as New Users
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 16:41:33 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

How to give Linux a try

,----[ Quote ]
| Have you ever been tempted by desktop Linux's
| security and stability, but you didn't want to go to
| all the trouble of installing two operating systems
| on one PC or the expense of buying a new PC? Then,
| you're in luck, because there are many ways to give
| desktop Linux a try without changing anything
| permanently or using a spare desktop.
|
| It used to be that if you wanted to try desktop
| Linux, you had to be a confident power-user and make
| permanent changes to your PC or have another
| computer. Those days are long gone. Today, you have
| four different, easy ways to take Linux for a spin.
`----

http://www.itworld.com/open-source/81557/how-give-linux-try

On SJVN's article:

What Hinders Popular Acceptance of the GNU/Linux Desktop

,----[ Quote ]
| My experience with forums when I switched to Ubuntu was
| generally positive. I asked questions, making it clear I
| was a newbie, and I don't remember a single derisive
| comment. The only aggravation was that a couple of times
| I posted questions and was berated for either posting in
| the wrong place or for failing to look for the answer
| before asking. I hate being told to look harder, and I
| actually want to learn about technology. Imagine being
| an average user, just trying to take a screenshot or set
| up Empathy, and being told to "look before you ask."
`----

http://www.igneousquill.net/2009/10/what-hinders-popular-acceptance-of.html

GNU actually grows fast on desktops in developing countries.

Recent:

Laptop for every pupil in Uruguay

,----[ Quote ]