Re: Apple's Q4 'most profitable quarter ever'

____/ nessuno on Tuesday 20 Oct 2009 16:36 : \____

> On Oct 19, 7:39 pm, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>>
>> ____/ nessuno on Tuesday 20 Oct 2009 02:36 : \____
>>

>> > <Quote>
>> > Apple has once again run the recession's undershorts up the flagpole
>> > during its fiscal fourth quarter 2009.
>>
>> > Record sales of iPhones and Macs helped Cupertino's profits soar 46
>> > per cent in the quarter compared to the same period a year ago.
>> > Revenue also increased 25 per cent in the quarter over last year.
>> > Apple describes the results as its "most profitable quarter ever."
>>
>> > During fiscal Q4, which ended September 26, Apple recorded net income
>> > of $1.67bn on sales of $9.87bn. For the same quarter a year earlier,
>> > the company had earned $1.14bn on $7.9bn in sales.
>>
>> > "We are thrilled to have sold more Macs and iPhones than in any
>> > previous quarter," said Apple boss Steve Jobs in a statement. "We've
>> > got a very strong lineup for the holiday season and some really great
>> > new products in the pipeline for 2010."
>>
>> > Apple said it sold 3.05 million Macs during the quarter, a 17 per cent
>> > unit increase year-over-year and beating the previous record of 2.61
>> > million sold during Q4 '08. About 2.3 million of the sales were
>> > laptops, which accounted for 75 per cent of Macs sold during the three
>> > months...
>>
>> > The iPod, however, didn't fare so well in sales with an eight per cent
>> > slide in units year-over-year down to 10.2 million. This marks the
>> > second consecutive quarter sales the music player has dropped from the
>> > year-ago quarter.
>>
>> > Meanwhile, Apple retail stores continue to pop up everywhere. The
>> > company added 15 brick-and-motar joints during the fourth quarter,
>> > totaling 273 outlets at the quarter's end, the company said.
>> > </Quote>
>>
>> >http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/10/20/apple_q4_2009_earnings/
>>
>> > Hmmm.... 17% increase in Mac sales....I wonder whose hide that came
>> > out of??  I guess the recession is not an excuse...
>>
>> Red Hat second-quarter profit increases 37%
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Analysts polled by Thomson Reuters had expected Red Hat
>> | to post second-quarter earnings of 15 cents a share,
>> | and $179.1 million in revenue.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.marketwatch.com/story/red-hat-second-quarter-profit-increa...
>>
>> "Microsoft has reported disappointing results for the April to June quarter,
>> with profits down by almost a third."
>>
>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/8166262.stm
>>
>> OK, so UNIX and Linux up, up, up. Microsoft down sharply for several
>> quarters...
>>
>> Let's see where it's going...
>>
>> - --
>> ~~ Best of wishes
>>
>> You are in a twisty maze of lusers all alike. -- Paul Martin
>> While, on the surface, this appears to be true. In actual fact, when examined
>> closely, each and every luser is uniquely and serially stupid. -- Geoff
> [...]

Another problem Microsoft has is Web services. The applications layer
of Windows gets devoured even at the middle.

- --
		~~ Best of wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Linux: does exactly what it says on the tin
http://Schestowitz.com  | Mandriva Linux |     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
 18:00:02 up 6 days, 21:01,  2 users,  load average: 0.24, 0.63, 0.68