[News] Apache Carries on Growing, UK Lags in Free Software Adoption

  • Subject: [News] Apache Carries on Growing, UK Lags in Free Software Adoption
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 17:16:15 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Statistics: Web Grows, Apache Profits

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft's webserver lost a fraction of share (-0.37%)
| in October. However, apart from Apache, Nginx grew a
| fraction (+0.39%), translating into a gain for the
| server developed by Russian Igor Sysoev by 1.1 million
| websites in October to a total of 13.8 million.
`----

http://www.linux-magazine.com/Online/News/Statistics-Web-Grows-Apache-Profits

UK trailing USA in adoption of open source defence technology

,----[ Quote ]
| What this type of technology should open our eyes to is,
| broadly, the fact that the US is doing this and the UK
| isnât. Alfresco chief executive and founder John Powell
| is refreshingly vocal on this subject and is (I would
| like to suggest) unselfishly highlighting his companyâs
| success in the US to show us what we are not doing in
| the UK.
|
| Perhaps the increasing adoption of open source in the
| commercial enterprise space will cause the government to
| wake up and see the benefits of these technology
| streams. Or maybe it wonât.
`----

http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,1000000567,10014231o-2000458459b,00.htm

Recent:

Jim Jagielski, Apache Software Foundation Co-Founder, On Apache's Timeline

,----[ Quote ]
| In the early days, almost all infrastructure services
| were donated. Today, we host and manage our own
| infrastructure, greatly supported by the financial
| donations of our sponsors, but even so, we remain a 100
| percent volunteer-based organization, still true to our
| goals and ideals.
`----

http://ostatic.com/blog/jim-jagielski-apache-software-foundation-co-founder-on-apaches-timeline

Brian Behlendorf, Founding Member of the Apache Software Foundation Speaks on How Open Source Developers Can Save the World

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.thebitsource.com/2009/10/06/brian-behlendorf-apachecon-keynote/