[News] Orphaned Works Harmed by Intellectual Monopolies

  • Subject: [News] Orphaned Works Harmed by Intellectual Monopolies
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 14:59:27 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Won't Somebody Please Think of the Orphans?

,----[ Quote ]
| The utter cluelessness and fatuity of the
| publishers' response is breath-taking: the
| problem is that the rights-holders *cannot
| be found* - that's why they're called
| "orphans". Demanding "due diligence" just
| misses the point completely.
|
| At least this proves that publishers simply
| have no credible arguments against
| introducing an "exception" to use orphan
| works, for example in digitisation projects.
| And against their non-existent downside, the
| upside is just immense. Let's hope the
| European Commission is beginning to
| understand this.
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2009/10/wont-somebody-please-think-of-orphans.html

Information wants to be free.

A Nerd's Take On The Future Of News Media

,----[ Quote ]
| Trust is the new black, as I like to say.
| The great opportunity for news organizations
| is to constructively demonstrate trustworthy
| reporting, and to visibly do so.
|
| News curation, that is, selecting what's
| news and should be visible, that's an
| equally big deal.
`----

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/craig-newmark/a-nerds-take-on-the-futur_b_325544.html

Cory Doctorow kicks off a unique publishing experiment--and a monthly PW column

,----[ Quote ]
| Back in 2003, I was the first writer to use
| a Creative Commons license in connection
| with a commercially published novelâmy first
| novel, Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom
| (Tor) was released as a freely shareable e-
| book the same day it came out in stores.
| It's now gone through several printings, has
| made me a fair bit of money, been widely
| translatedâcommercially and noncommerciallyâ
| and it's been followed by three more novels,
| including the New York Times bestseller
| Little Brother (Tor Teens, 2008), all of
| which are also available as free, remixable
| downloads. Two more novels are on their way
| on the same terms.
`----

http://www.publishersweekly.com/article/CA6702526.html

Recent:

Copyright Control

,----[ Quote ]
| The Digital Millennium Copyright Act is, without
| question, one of the most frequently abused laws on the
| books. If the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act is the catch-
| all for internet crime, the DMCA is ten times over for
| copyright law. If you want something off the internet,
| the quickest way to be rid of it is to issue a DMCA
| notice, regardless of whether there is any basis for it
| or not, and that's exactly what companies like Autodesk
| do. There is recourse, however: Anyone who knowingly
| misrepresents that an infringement has occurred, or
| falsely represents that a take down was the result of a
| mistake, is liable for damages for their conduct.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/copyright-control

A Harvard Skirmish in the Copyright Wars

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.bitsbook.com/2009/09/a-harvard-skirmish-in-the-copyright-wars/