[News] Internet Censorship Plans in Australia Exposed Through Wikileaks

  • Subject: [News] Internet Censorship Plans in Australia Exposed Through Wikileaks
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 15:01:02 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Removed paper on Internet censorship trails in Australia,
NZ, UK with NetClean Whitebox, 2009

,----[ Quote ]
| This is a technology white paper written by
| an internet censorship company ("filter
| vendor") about internet censorship system in
| many countries. The company, "Watxhdog
| International" is based in New Zealand and
| behind the censorship system used by New
| Zealand, parts of the UK and controversial
| 'live pilot' of the controversial mandatory
| ISP-level filtering in Australia. The latter
| trial is using the "ACMA" blacklist, three
| editions of which were released by WikiLeaks
| in critical articles. WikiLeaks was itself
| then added to the blacklist and became the
| subject of a police raid in Germany and
| Federal Police investigation in Australia.
`----

https://secure.wikileaks.org/wiki/Removed_paper_on_Internet_censorship_trails_in_Australia,_NZ,_UK_with_NetClean_Whitebox,_2009

Condemning Censorship, Even of Werewolves

,----[ Quote ]
| I have found myself placed under that
| necessity in the last week. A member in good
| standing of the open-source community, one
| Beth Lynn Eicher, had sought and achieved
| the suppression of public speech by one
| Mikhail Kvaratskhelia, aka âmikeeeUSAâ, aka
| serveral other aliases. When I first
| approached her privately on the matter, she
| refused to apologize or retract. In my
| judgment, she was committing a crime against
| our communityâs future by setting a
| precedent which might one day reach to all
| of us.
|
| [...]
|
| Ms. Eicher has earned my respect for
| avoiding the harm of censorship, and my
| personal gratitude for navigating us both
| out of a collision neither of us wanted. And
| I hope her solution will indeed set a
| precedent that will enable us to never, ever
| advocate the suppression of public political
| speech, no matter how vile we find it.
`----

http://esr.ibiblio.org/?p=1310

Recent:

Minton report: Trafigura toxic dumping along the Ivory Coast broke EU regulations, 14 Sep 2006

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://wikileaks.org/wiki/Minton_report:_Trafigura_Toxic_dumping_along_the_Ivory_Coast_broke_EU_regulations%2C_14_Sep_2006