[News] [Rival] IDG: Customers Won't Buy Vista 7 (Ballmer Said so Too)

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] IDG: Customers Won't Buy Vista 7 (Ballmer Said so Too)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 15:31:55 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Consumers Won't Pay $120 for Windows 7 Upgrade

,----[ Quote ]
| Will home users pay that price? I'm betting
| they won't. True, some Microsoft diehards
| will line up on October 22 to grab the first
| copies of Win 7, but most consumers will
| spot the price tag and walk away.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/173868/consumers_wont_pay_120_for_windows_7_upgrade.html

BBC Breakfast Talk Up Windows 7 Dismiss Rivals

,----[ Quote ]
| A few points that came to mind:-
|
|     * I donât recall such a review of OSX
|     Snow Leopard when it came out, BBC
|     biased towards Microsoft?
|     * Will there be a similar review of
|     other OS releases this month/year such
|     as Ubuntu and others?
|     * Why focus so much on the touch
|     elements if most computers donât have a
|     touch screen and itâs a âgimmickâ.
|     Perhaps it just makes good telly, even
|     if itâs somewhat misguided
|     * No mention of the pain users will have
|     upgrading
|     * No mention of the cost
|     * No mention of the fact that OSX is
|     cheaper, instead focussing on the cost
|     of Apple hardware. Isnât this an OS
|     review, not a hardware review. Iâd bet
|     that Sony touch screen Rory used isnât
|     exactly cheap
|     * âlittle communityâ building Free
|     Software you say Rory? Dismissive and
|     unnecessarily Patronising
|     * âdonât want to bother with that sort
|     of stuffâ. I find many users donât want
|     to âbotherâ with viruses, malware and
|     broken software, but they do, on Windows
|     * Ubuntu isnât âout next weekâ. The
|     latest version is. Ubuntu has been
|     around for 5 years (this week). What
|     weâre doing is no different to Microsoft
|     shipping a new release of Windows, and
|     Apple shipping a new OSX. It just so
|     happens ours is free
|
| Rory, please feel free to come along to the
| Ubuntu Release Party next Thursday 29th in
| London, and you can meet some of the great
| people who help put Ubuntu together.
`----

http://popey.com/blog/2009/10/21/bbc-breakfast-talk-up-windows-7-dismiss-rivals/

Apple takes a few shots at Windows during WWDC09

,----[ Quote ]
| During this year's WWDC, Apple took the time
| to talk up Snow Leopard, the successor to
| Mac OS X, but also made sure to talk about
| Windows. Apple's Bertrand Serlet made a
| point to say that the company loves and is
| proud of Leopard, so to show that the next
| version built upon the previous one, the
| company called the operating system Snow
| Leopard. Serlet called Windows 7 "just
| another version" of Windows Vista, noting
| that the user still has to deal with DLLs,
| the registry, disk defragmenter, and so on.
| He emphasized that Microsoft has dug quite a
| big hole with Vista and is trying to get out
| of it with Windows 7, at which point the
| screen showed the rather harsh quote: "Vista
| has failed to catch on with mainstream
| computer users, while businesses have
| shunned it outright." On top of that, he
| said that Windows 7 has "even more
| complexity" since it is "the same old tech
| as Vista" and is "just another version of
| Vista."
`----

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2009/06/apple-takes-a-few-stabs-at-windows-during-wwdc09.ars

Recent:

Windows 7 â Itâs Vista All Over Again

,----[ Quote ]
| âThere you go againâ. The Gipper said it in
| 1982, and Iâm saying it today â but about
| Windows 7, not Jimmy Carter.
|
| Because the more I play with Windows 7, the
| more I see the Vista debacle unfolding all
| over again. The commonly accepted wisdom is
| that Windows 7 is oh-so-much-better than
| Vista. Well, based on my own extensive
| testing, itâs not. Not at all.
|
| First a bit of history. Back in 2006 I was
| editor-in-chief of PC Magazine. Vista was
| coming out and we were pretty darn
| laudatory. Microsoft provided us with new
| hardware, we tested beta versions of Vista,
| and we loved it. Shortly after it shipped,
| alas, the Wow was less Now than Ow. Vista
| sucked upon release to the world for a wide
| range of reasons â not least because the
| networking and audio driver models were
| completely rebuilt in the six months prior
| to release. That led to driver problems,
| along with general instability. When I left
| PC Magazine in 2007, my parting column was
| a bit of an apology â weâd been too easy on
| what turned out to be one of Microsoftâs
| more uneven efforts.
|
| Itâs easy to get snowed. Microsoft provides
| its favored reviewers a steady stream of
| highlights, new versions, and new features
| â along with brand new hardware to run the
| new builds upon. A team of technical
| marketers inside the borg stand at the
| ready â helping the anointed work through,
| and around, any problems that develop
| during testing.
|
| [...]
|
| Weâve seen this story before. Vista was
| overhyped when it came out by everyone from
| PC Magazine to the Wall Street Journal. And
| now Windows 7 is getting the same treatment.
`----

http://louderback.com/2009/windows-7-its-vista-all-over-again/

Overheard: Windows 7 is just Vista with new shade of lipstick

http://itknowledgeexchange.techtarget.com/overheard/overheard-windows-7-is-just-vista-with-new-shade-of-lipstick/

Is Windows 7 Just a Vista Service Pack?

http://seekingalpha.com/article/118240-is-windows-7-just-a-vista-service-pack

Is Windows 7 just Vista in disguise?

http://www.daniweb.com/news/post975843.html

Ballmer: Windows 7 is Vista, just 'a lot better'

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9117399/Ballmer_Windows_7_is_Vista_just_a_lot_better_