[News] GNU/Linux Gets Universal Binaries Improvement: FatELF

  • Subject: [News] GNU/Linux Gets Universal Binaries Improvement: FatELF
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 12:37:31 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Ryan Gordon Brings Universal Binaries To Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| What Ryan has achieved so far with FatELF is
| the file format specification along with
| documentation and then patches to the Linux
| kernel, file, binutils, and gdb. The patches
| still to be written are for module-init-tools,
| glibc, and elfutils. Support for non-Linux
| platforms right now is just one of the goals.
|
| Ryan has also constructed a proof-of-concept
| virtual machine that demonstrates FatELF.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzYyNQ

FatELF

http://www.linuxgames.com/archives/14271

Related:

Review: Linux Software Installer

,----[ Quote ]
| I like LSI, more from the cross-distro concept than the overall design, as I
| previously mentioned, due to some still lacking features.  But in time it
| should grow and become essentially the universal installer for most of the
| Linux world.  It'd also allow individual companies or groups to package their
| own LSI installs and offer their applications via their website, rather than
| through the respective distro repositories.  Now that's not to say that LSI
| is going to just suddenly kill all the package systems currently in use, but
| it should reduce their necessity, if only in a small part.
`----

http://www.raiden.net/?cat=2&aid=454

Installing applications in Linux (part II)

,----[ Quote ]
| It really is that easy and not at all scary!
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/19298/1154/

Installing applications on Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Windows users are quite used to putting in a CD and clicking on whatever
| comes up. Alternatively, you can download an exe or msi file from a website
| and install that. So, how do you install applications in Linux?
|
| When you install Linux on your PC or laptop, it usually has some preloaded
| applications. Ubuntu comes with OpenOffice, a PDF reader, some basic games,
| some audio and video players and other things. It is pretty complete as it
| is, but I have been using Linux for a while and have my own favourite
| applications for doing things.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/18939/1162/

Software installation woes on Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| While we gracefully installed our favorite Linux distro, one of the mundane
| problems which most users face is - installing a new software. In the
| beginning, software installation on a Linux distro can seem extremely
| intimidating while using a terminal but more often than not we can install
| things graphically. Installing software on Linux is not only easier than most
| of us think, but it also has some special features which help softwareâs to
| be updated automatically!
`----

http://www.brajeshwar.com/2008/software-installation-on-linux/

Package Management - Avoiding the Two Step

,----[ Quote ]
| See, the beauty is that even though things like apt-get and synaptic make
| installing programs as easy as double clicking on setup.exe -- the difference
| is that we have a choice as to whether or not we pick the convenience of
| package management. It's the freedom to choose that makes Linux and open
| source so great.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/package-management-avoiding-two-step

Get down and dirty with Linux