[News] GNOME 2.28.1 is Released, K Desktop Environment Recruits Semantic Desktop Hackers

  • Subject: [News] GNOME 2.28.1 is Released, K Desktop Environment Recruits Semantic Desktop Hackers
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 13:04:52 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

GNOME 2.28.1 released !

,----[ Quote ]
| This is the first update to GNOME 2.28. It
| contains the usual mixture of bug fixes,
| translations updates and documentation
| improvements that are the hallmark of stable
| GNOME releases, thanks to our wonderful team
| of GNOME contributors!
`----

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-announce-list/2009-October/msg00065.html

The Semantic Desktop Wants You

,----[ Quote ]
| As explained on Userbase, Nepomuk is a
| promising new technology which aims to make
| the user's data easier to find. Not only
| through the now common search and indexing,
| but also by making use of more complex
| relationships between documents, contacts
| and all sorts of data. While the full
| potential of Nepomuk is still shrouded in
| mystery for most of us, for developers it is
| an exciting area of work where academic
| research and Free Software development come
| together.
`----

http://www.kdenews.org/2009/10/22/semantic-desktop-wants-you

Simple KDE Trick #2: using remote desktops with avahi, krfb and krdc

,----[ Quote ]
| Most people nowadays have more than one
| computer. Often, you are using one, and
| would like to do something in another. In
| this video, I will explain how trivial it is
| to do that without leaving your seat in a
| modern Linux using KDE.
|
| We will use the following:
|
|     * Avahi, a zeroconf implementation to
|     let you find your computers in your
|     network without worrying about IP
|     addresses, DNS, etc.
|     * krfb, the KDE Remote Frame Buffer.
|     This is a program to share your desktop
|     over the network.
|     * krdc, the KDE Remote Desktop Client, a
|     VNC, RDP client, which is what you use
|     to see a desktop shared via krfb.
`----

http://lateral.netmanagers.com.ar/weblog/2009/10/20.html#BB844

Recent:

GNOME 3.0 Determines Boston Summit

,----[ Quote ]
| While the European Linux scene has been busy with
| KDE and Qt, a relatively unnoticed but important
| gathering occurred in the U.S. to determine the
| future of the GNOME desktop: the GNOME Boston Summit
| 2009.
`----

http://www.linux-magazine.com/Online/News/GNOME-3.0-Determines-Boston-Summit

Boston GNOME Summit 2009

,----[ Quote ]
| I spent this weekend in Boston for the annual
| GNOME summit. I really enjoyed it this year,
| although there were fewer attendees than
| previously it felt very focussed and productive.
| Thereâs some cool stuff going on, and itâs
| always great to catch up with all of the usual
| free software suspects in Boston.
`----

http://robot101.net/2009/10/14/boston-gnome-summit-200/

Telepathy Q&A from the Boston GNOME Summit

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://robot101.net/2009/10/14/telepathy-qa/

Gnome Summit (@MIT)