[News] [Rival] Business Insider: Microsoft's Still Toast; Daily Finance Gives Microsoft a "C"

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Business Insider: Microsoft's Still Toast; Daily Finance Gives Microsoft a "C"
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 00:58:16 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Microsoft's Still Toast

,----[ Quote ]
| After the PC market shrank this year, the
| argument is that a need to replace worn-out
| computer kit will return it to strong growth
| â helped by a desire to upgrade to Windows
| 7.... Microsoft, though, cautioned that
| corporate IT budgets are still very tight
| and likely to grow only slowly. The initial
| favourable consumer reaction to Windows 7 is
| helpful but the businesses that provide the
| bulk of tech spending weigh decisions to
| upgrade very carefully â particularly when
| shareholders are pressing them to keep costs
| under control...
|
| Netbooks are still depressing prices and
| margins for the PC industry. And Bingâs
| increased share seems to be coming mainly
| from Yahoo, whose search function Microsoft
| has anyway agreed to take over. The familiar
| problems of an aggressive Google and the
| shift towards selling software as a service
| remain. Cost-cutting does not change that...
`----

http://www.businessinsider.com/microsoft-2009-10

Microsoft happy with its gentleman's C

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Corp's (MSFT) earnings
| announcement today reminds me of a story I
| heard years ago. A seventh grader steps off
| the school bus and marches into the house
| beaming. His mother asks him why he is so
| happy. He replies: "Great news mom, I got a
| 70!"
|
| What does this have to do with Microsoft?
| This morning it reported that its first-
| quarter net income fell 18 percent to $3.6
| billion and sales dropped 14 percent to
| $12.9 billion. Microsoft responded with all
| the enthusiasm of that seventh grader,
| noting, "We are very pleased with our
| performance this quarter."
`----

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2009/10/23/microsoft-happy-with-a-gentlemans-c/

Recent:

Microsoft employee admits switching to a Mac

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-10075063-71.html