[News] [Rival] Microsoft's Bad Results Are Telling, Big Layoffs Rumoured for November 4th

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Microsoft's Bad Results Are Telling, Big Layoffs Rumoured for November 4th
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 01:00:04 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

CNBC Blows Microsoft Guidance Cut, Creaming Stock (MSFT)

,----[ Quote ]
| Update I: At about 10:50 ET this morning,
| CNBC  and WSJ's Digits Blog reported that
| Microsoft had lowered its REVENUE guidance
| on its conference call.  Not surprisingly,
| the stock immediately tanked.
`----

http://www.businessinsider.com/microsoft-lowers-q4-guidance-2009-10

At Groklaw, Pamela Jones wrote: "So. They lost money, but managed
to pull off a profit by cutting employees, research, marketing, etc.
How long can you keep that up, I wonder?"

Microsoft Net Falls 18%; Schlumberger Sales Down

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Corporation first quarter revenues
| fell 14.2% to $12.92 billion and net income
| fell 18.3% to $3.57 billion or 40 cents a
| share.
`----

http://www.123jump.com/earnings-story/Microsoft-Net-Falls-18;-Schlumberger-Sales-Down/34966/

Microsoft revenue drops 14% in summer

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft today reported its third
| consecutive decline in quarterly revenue.
| The company's total revenue during the
| summer dropped a sharp 14 percent year-over-
| year to $12.92 billion and is attributed
| almost exclusively to the Windows division,
| whose own revenue fell 38.76 percent to
| $2.62 billion. It also saw a decline in the
| overall health of its Business and Online
| Services groups.
`----

http://www.electronista.com/articles/09/10/23/microsoft.faces.third.quarterly.decline/

Microsoft's Profit, Sales Fall

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703573604574491064129825746.html?mod=WSJ_hpp_LEFTTopStories

Microsoft's Q1 net profits off 18% despite cost cuts

http://www.bnamericas.com/news/technology/Microsoft*s_Q1_net_profits_off_18*_despite_cost_cuts

Recent:

Microsoft rumours confirmed

,----[ Quote ]
| Industry rumours were set to rest when Microsoft confirmed a number of
| changes to its staffing.
|
| According to Microsoft the restructure will affect a small, but unspecified,
| number of jobs and is part of the efficiency drive announced by Chief
| Executive, Steve Ballmer earlier this year. It follows job cuts that occurred
| earlier this month.
|
| A Microsoft spokesperson said: âAs part of this effort, we are making some
| changes in New Zealand.â
`----

http://www.thechannel.co.nz/20090527918/microsoft-rumours-confirmed.php

Microsoft Loses NZ Government Windows Deal

http://news.digitaltrends.com/news-article/20034/microsoft-loses-nz-government-windows-deal

New Zealand cancels Microsoft talks

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/itmanagement/0,1000000308,39656668,00.htm

Kiwis turn down Microsoft.

http://www.gaj-it.com/10047/kiwis-turn-down-microsoft/

Kiwis give Microsoft the finger

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/25274/1090/

Microsoft starts second round of layoffs. More to come?

http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=17495

Report: Microsoft Won't Rule Out More Layoffs

http://www.kirotv.com/money/19372839/detail.html

Microsoft Announces Second Wave In 5,000 Job Cuts Plan

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20090505-713105.html

Microsoft moves forward on plan to lay off 5,000

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/05/05/AR2009050501609.html

Microsoft completes staff cuts faster than planned

http://www.app.com/article/20090505/BUSINESS/90505061/1003

Microsoft Announces Another Round of Job Cuts

http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/2009/05/05/microsoft-announces-another-round-of-job-cuts

Microsoft cuts thousands more jobs

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/stories/2009/05/04/daily33.html

More layoffs at Microsoft today, says company e-mail from Steve Ballmer

http://blog.seattletimes.nwsource.com/techtracks/2009/05/05/more_layoffs_at_microsoft_today_says_company_e-mai.html

Microsoft Enters Phase 2 with Plan to Cut 5,000 Jobs

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Microsoft-Enters-Phase-2-with-Plan-to-Cut-5-000-Jobs-110837.shtml

Microsoft cut more jobs in their operations

http://business.techwhack.com/5242-microsoft-job-cuts-2

Microsoft starts next job cuts, hints at more

http://www.electronista.com/articles/09/05/05/microsoft.2nd.round.cuts/

Microsoft Announces Round Two of Layoffs

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/IT-Management/Microsoft-Announces-Round-Two-of-Layoffs-652883/

More pink slips go out at Microsoft

http://www.komonews.com/news/microsoft/44364487.html

Fargo's Microsoft begins second round of job cuts this year

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/239618/

Microsoft layoff buzz intensifies

http://www.techflash.com/Microsoft_layoff_buzz_intensifies_44295192.html

Microsoft confirms 5 per cent of UK jobs to go

http://www.vnunet.com/computing/news/2241667/microsoft-confirms-uk-job

Microsoft to cut 150 jobs in UK

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2009/may/05/microsoft-job-cuts

Microsoft carries out second round of planned job cuts

http://www.computerweekly.com/Articles/2009/05/05/235900/microsoft-carries-out-second-round-of-planned-job-cuts.htm

Ballmer email kicks off second round of Microsoft layoffs

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2009/05/05/microsoft_job_losses/