[News] [Rival] Microsoft: Buying Memory Not from Us Will Help Gamers Cheat?!?!?

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Microsoft: Buying Memory Not from Us Will Help Gamers Cheat?!?!?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 01:00:47 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Microsoft's reasoning for blocking non-MS memory units

,----[ Quote ]
| Chances are you've already heard how the
| forthcoming Xbox 360 update isn't going to
| play nicely with "unauthorized storage
| devices" aka all memory units that aren't
| licensed by Microsoft. It's a bummer
| considering how expensive the company's
| storage devices are, no doubt about it.
| Patrick Klepek at G4TV got a spokesperson
| from Microsoft to explain why the decision
| was made, in addition to what would happen
| to those who didn't obey the new rules.
| According to the rep, Microsoft is looking
| to "protect the Xbox 360 and Xbox LIVE
| service from cheating, which is the primary
| purpose and use of these unauthorized MUs."

Microsoft To Block Unauthorised Memory Cards

Video: Microsoft's rejected mobile apps

Microsoft Wants To Block Out 3rd Party Storage

,----[ Quote ]
| Once again, this seems incredibly short-sighted by
| Microsoft. The idea of breaking legitimately
| purchased hardware that makes the core of
| Microsoft's profit center (the games) more
| valuable, this only serves to piss off Microsoft
| customers and drive them away from Microsoft.

Microsoft blocking unauthorized memory units for Xbox 360

,----[ Quote ]
| An upcoming update for Microsoft's Xbox 360 will
| prevent "unauthorized" memory units from working
| with the console, according to a post late
| yesterday by Xbox Live's Larry Hryb, a.k.a. Major
| Nelson.

Red Ring of Death - Microsoft's Biggest Xbox 360 Problem Repaired at Home Fast

Xbox 360 stay tepid in Japan

,----[ Quote ]
| Sales for Microsoft Corp.'s Xbox 360
| stayed tepid in Japan in the latest retail
| data.
| Media Create Co. on Fri. reported that the
| Xbox 360 sold 4,854 units between Sept. 21
| to Sept. 27 to rank No. 5 in overall
| hardware sales.

Microsoft comments on defective ODSTs

,----[ Quote ]
| Multiple users are reporting having trouble playing
| Halo 3: ODST on their consoles, with the game either
| skipping or sometimes not reading at all. The Bungie
| forums are busy with these reports, but it looks like
| the majority of players are able to play the game. For
| some who have the space, installing the game to the
| hard drive seems to be a common problem-solver.

Xbox 360 fifth place in Japan

,----[ Quote ]
| Sales for Microsoft Corp.'s Xbox 360 ranked below rivals in
| Japan in the latest retail data.
| Media Create Co. on Fri. reported that the Xbox 360 sold
| 4,965 units between Sept. 14 to Sept. 20 to rank No. 5 in
| overall hardware sales.

Market Report -- Short Stories (MSFT)

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft rev ests lowered at Caris on weaker XBOX sales .

Good News On MSFT Earnings: Xbox Sales Tanking

,----[ Quote ]
| Sometimes the good news is the bad news. Or vice versa.

Can I Send My Xbox 360 To Microsoft Even If The Warranty Has Finshed?

Betheseda Thinks Microsoft Screwed Up With Halo 3: ODST Marketing Strategy

,----[ Quote ]
| It's been awhile since I wrote about some industry drama, a
| developer popping off at the mouth, personal drama (like my
| logic board needing to be replaced), or anything of that
| sort, so here goes! Ashley Cheng has written on his blog
| that he feels that Microsoft and Bungie really missed the
| mark with their advertising and promotion of Halo 3: ODST.
| He cites the fact that a lot of "reviewers" are complaining
| that the game may not be worth $60, for what was advertised
| as "a standalone expansion pack".

Web content on Xbox Live not a Microsoft priority

,----[ Quote ]
| Speaking to Business Week, Microsoft's general manager of
| global content acquisition and strategy, Ross Honey,
| painted a somewhat bleak picture for web content on Xbox
| Live.

Don't Expect More Web Series on Xbox Anytime Soon

The 250GB Xbox 360 is a mistake, and it's one that the PS3 should avoid making

,----[ Quote ]
| The Xbox 360 Arcade has been a joke since day one. It is
| the cheap model, and it allows Microsoft to say that they
| have the cheapest console, but it sacrifices nearly
| everything that modern console gaming is about in the
| process.

Rumor: Microsoft Can Kill Xbox 360s Remotely

,----[ Quote ]
| A bit of qualification: I follow 8BitJoystickâs Jake Metcalf on Twitter and
| he seems like a responsible writer. More importantly, he has a track record
| of digging up credible inside sources. He famously broke the news that Halo
| developer Bungie was leaving Microsoft (it was actually amusing to see bigger
| outlets laugh at him, then eat their words), and has posted a couple other
| juicy reports as well.
| So when Metcalf says the source was âwell vetted,â I believe him, even if the
| sourceâs information leaves me skeptical simply because itâs so unbelievable.
| If the report is accurate, the obvious question remains: Does Microsoft have
| the legal right to do this? Yes, Metcalf argues, because hacking an Xbox 360
| is a violation of the consoleâs terms of service, as well as the Digital
| Millennium Copyright Act.

EU to levy huge fine on Intel, hearing set for Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| The Europen Commission could fine Microsoft, force it to offer other
| browsers, or require a âkill switchâ in Windows that would disable IE.
|     Microsoft has added a âkill switchâ of sorts to Windows 7 that will let
|     users prevent IE8 from running. Operaâs CEO, however, has said that he
|     considers Microsoftâs move to be insufficient. The companyâs Windows 7
|     Release Candidate (RC), which is expected to publicly launch tomorrow,
|     will be the first chance most users have of testing that kill switch.

Microsoft's Xbox 360: No More RROD For Me, But For How Long We'll Have To

,----[ Quote ]
| Back on Wednesday the 15th, I told you that my first-generation Xbox 360 game
| console had experienced the Red Ring of Death the prior Friday evening. I
| also shipped it off on the 15th, and the UPS tracking website reported that
| it was delivered to Microsoft's Mesquite, TX service facility at 10:15AM on
| the 21st.

Are Xbox 360's E74 Failure's The New RRoD?

,----[ Quote ]
| According to polls conducted by Joystiq and Engagdet, E74 failures on Xbox
| 360's is on the rise. Joystiq asked readers to send in emails with reports of
| the failure, and recieved an overwhelming number of responses to their call.
| For those that aren't acquainted with the dreaded E74 failure, it's a problem
| that occurs when there is an AV cable error. On the surface anyway, because
| if the cable is still in working order (which it usually is) then it's a
| scaler chip problem, directly involving the ANA/HANA chip which is connected
| to the AV cable; or in some cases it's the GPU.

Increase In Xbox 360 E74 Problems

New Xbox 360 Hardware Failures Being Reported in Significant Numbers

,----[ Quote ]
| Xbox 360 failures are on the rise since the launch of the New Xbox Experience
| A known Xbox 360 hardware issue is beginning to surface in significant
| numbers recently based on research conducted by video game site Joystiq.
| Tentatively called the Xbox 360 E74 error, one of the lights on the âRing of
| Lightsâ on the front of your Xbox 360 console flashes red and you receive the
| error code and message: "E74. System Error. Contact Xbox Customer Support".
| The symptoms involve the bottom right portion of the indicator ring
| repeatedly flashing on and off and lines or snow will become visible across
| the screen.

Microsoft Wants You to Pay for E74 Repairs on Xbox 360s over a year old

,----[ Quote ]
| I had a misunderstanding in my pervious article on the Xbox 360 E74 error. It
| ends up that Microsoft is saying that it will repair an E74 error stricken
| Xbox 360 for free only in the first year since purchase since it is still
| covered under the basic one year warranty so the E74 is ONLY covered by the
| normal warranty. After that you have to pay to get it fixed. They will pay
| for shipping but E74 error victims will have to pay to get it fixed if their
| Xbox 360 is over a year old.
| [...]
| I am sure that the Xbox Red Ring of Death debacle has devalued the perception
| of Microsoft as a brand outside of videogames. The RROD and E74 runs the risk
| of turning an entire generation of future consumers away from seeing
| Microsoft favorably.
| I am not even going to mention how much the Jerry Seinfeld Windows Vista ads
| sucked.

Xbox Live Cancels Year-Long Prepaid Account, Demands Another Year's
Subscription To Reactivate

,----[ Quote ]