Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft: Buying Memory Not from Us Will Help Gamers Cheat?!?!?

____/ High Plains Thumper on Monday 26 Oct 2009 08:55 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
> <SNIP>
>
>> Rumor: Microsoft Can Kill Xbox 360s Remotely
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> A bit of qualification: I follow 8BitJoystickâs Jake Metcalf
>>> on Twitter and he seems like a responsible writer. More
>>> importantly, he has a track record of digging up credible
>>> inside sources. He famously broke the news that Halo
>>> developer Bungie was leaving Microsoft (it was actually
>>> amusing to see bigger outlets laugh at him, then eat their
>>> words), and has posted a couple other juicy reports as well.
>>>
>>> So when Metcalf says the source was âwell vetted,â I believe
>>> him, even if the sourceâs information leaves me skeptical
>>> simply because itâs so unbelievable.
>>>
>>> If the report is accurate, the obvious question remains:
>>> Does Microsoft have the legal right to do this? Yes, Metcalf
>>> argues, because hacking an Xbox 360 is a violation of the
>>> consoleâs terms of service, as well as the Digital
>>> Millennium Copyright Act.
>> `----
>>
>> http://technologizer.com/2009/05/14/rumor-microsoft-can-kill-xbox-360s-remotely/
>
> <SNIP>
>
> Problem is Microsoft being an unscrupulous company can't seem to
> get things right with the consumer.  Back in the late 90's, my
> supervisor purchased some Microsoft software for his home
> computer.  It was one of those install once and then it disables
> the media affairs, to prevent privacy.  I don't remember the
> specific software application.  Problem was that it never
> installed right in the first place.  Calls to tech support were
> useless.
>
>> Xbox Live Cancels Year-Long Prepaid Account, Demands Another
>> Year's Subscription To Reactivate
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> Xbox Live has struck again, this time by screwing up the
>>> auto-renewal on a customer's account and ruining the prepaid
>>> annual membership he activated just three months ago.
>> `----

> When it came to game boxes, I purchased for my daughter the
> Nintendo Wii.  So far, we have had no unit burn-ups, it works
> flawlessly.  Prior to that I purchased for her the Nintendo Cube,
> it again worked flawlessly.  I am sure others who have purchased
> Nintendo products have similar experiences.
>
> I don't know why someone couldn't have flipped a binary software
> switch on the customer's data base and corrected the problem
> instead of requiring another year of prepaid membership, in order
> to activate the already paid for membership.
>
> Microsoft certainly appears to be its own bureaucracy.
>
> But then, what can one expect for a company who has continually
> cheated with disregard toward the law and ethics?
>
> http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2001-08-23-microsoft-letters.htm
> http://www.groklaw.net/pdf/Comes-3096.pdf
> http://www.ecis.eu/documents/Finalversion_Consumerchoicepaper.pdf

Microsoft: the mercenaries of software.

- --
		~~ Best of wishes

*Nobody* expects the Spanish haiku. Our weapons are fear, uncertainty,
and doubt -- five syllables. And a fanatical devotion to Bill Gates.
Seven syllables. No, not Bill Gates. Five syllables. -- Alan J Rosenthal
Mem:   2075800k total,  1660792k used,   415008k free,    12460k buffers