[News] How Virtualisation Helps Testing of GNU/Linux

  • Subject: [News] How Virtualisation Helps Testing of GNU/Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 00:25:55 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

The Virtues of Virtualization

,----[ Quote ]
| I've gotten some flack from a few of my
| readers over on Desktop Linux Reviews for
| using virtualization software to run Linux
| distros. Some people feel that
| virtualization is "cheating" or that it
| somehow it warps the review.
|
| [...]
|
| Once you start playing with distros, you may
| become what is called a distro-hopper. They
| love playing with various Linux distros, and
| jump from one to the next, always looking
| for that special distro that will rock their
| world once and for all.

Standardized virtualization environments preferred, survey says

,----[ Quote ]
| If you have some combination of Windows, Red
| Hat Enterprise Linux, SUSE Linux Enterprise
| Server, Solaris and Oracle in your data
| center and you follow our virtualization
| selection recommendations, your environment
| will support multiple virtualization
| software platforms. Each platform has its
| own set of virtualization management tools,
| which creates licensing and maintenance
| complexity.
`----

http://searchservervirtualization.techtarget.com/news/article/0,289142,sid94_gci1372425,00.html

Recent:

Red Hat sets stage for open source virtualization

,----[ Quote ]
| Messer said this opens up more customers
| to adopt virtualization solutions of their
| choice, including Red Hatâs four main
| offerings for businesses: the Red Hat
| Enterprise Linux, the Red Hat Enterprise
| Virtualizaton Manager for Servers, the Red
| Hat Virtualization Manager for Desktops,
| and the Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization
| Hypervisor.
`----

http://www.thestandard.com/news/2009/10/08/red-hat-sets-stage-open-source-virtualization

Red Hat brings virtualisation workshops to town

,----[ Quote ]
| Virtualisation company Red Hat is giving its
| partners a sneak preview of Enterprise Linux 5.4
| at workshops taking place in Auckland and
| Wellington later this month.
`----

http://reseller.co.nz/reseller.nsf/news/A8AF944AC2E5085CCC257649006F28D2

Red Hat hosts âRed Hat Enterprise Virtualization: Make Virtualization a Breezeâ briefing sessions across Australia

,----[ Quote ]
| Red Hat, Inc. (NYSE: RHT), the worldâs leading
| provider of open source solutions, will host a
| series of briefing sessions across Australia based
| on âRed Hat Enterprise Virtualization: Make
| Virtualization a Breezeâ.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com.au/article/321280/red_hat_hosts_red_hat_enterprise_virtualization_make_virtualization_breeze_briefing_sessions_across

Open source virtualisation briefings come to NZ

,----[ Quote ]
| Hosted by Red Hat, two briefing sessions will be
| held in New Zealand regarding the use of open
| source in enterprise virtualisation.
`----

http://www.itbrief.co.nz/200910083627/open-source-virtualisation-briefings-come-to-nz.php

Will KVM KO Xen?

,----[ Quote ]
| Those looking to get their hands on KVM need look no further than the Linux
| kernel itself, of which KVM is part. This makes vendor compatibility quite
| straightforward: All ISVs that are certified for RHEL are also certified for
| deployment on KVM.
`----

http://www.serverwatch.com/article.php/3838316/Will-KVM-KO-Xen

Red Hat pumps out commercial KVM

,----[ Quote ]
| Commercial Linux distributor Red Hat is hosting its annual summit in Chicago
| this week, and the star of the event was today's launch of Red Hat Enterprise
| Linux 5.4, which sports the first commercially supported KVM hypervisor from
| the company.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/09/02/redhat_rhel54_launch/

Red Hat Network Satellite 5.3 hits orbit with open source

,----[ Quote ]
| Red Hat (NYSE:RHT) today announced the release of Red Hat Network Satellite
| 5.3, the first release of the systems management tool built from the
| Spacewalk open source project.
`----

http://blog.internetnews.com/skerner/2009/09/red-hat-network-satellite-53-h.html

Virt-manager 0.8.0 Released

,----[ Quote ]
| Virt-manager 0.8.0 release was officially annouced late last night. This
| latest release includes bug fixes and a couple of new features, my personal
| favourite being the Clone VM wizard that I briefly mentioned in here. The
| official announcement lists the following new features...
`----

http://www.linux-kvm.com/content/virt-manager-080-released

Red Hat's standalone hypervisor goes beta

,----[ Quote ]
| Commercial Linux distributor Red Hat threw its, er, red hat into the
| virtualization ring back in February when it announced it was creating a
| standalone Enterprise Virtualization hypervisor based on KVM to compete with
| the likes of VMware, Microsoft, and Citrix Systems. Today, that standalone
| hypervisor and the tools to manage it for servers and desktops moved into
| beta.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/06/16/redhat_rhev_beta/

Red Hat makes KVM its Linux virtualization of choice

,----[ Quote ]
| Despite Red Hatâs surprising announcement last week that it would be
| partnering with Microsoft on virtualization, on February 23rd, Red Hatâs
| announced that it would be switching its virtualization strategy from a mix
| of virtualization programs, including the Microsoft-friendly Xen, to focusing
| on Linuxâs baked-in KVM (Kernel-based Virtual Machine)
|
| KVM, as Red Hat CTO Brian Stevens admitted during a press call, is still a
| work in progress. But, Stevens assured the audience, by working with IBM and
| Intel, Red Hat will be able to deliver its full Red Hat Virtualization
| portfolio within the next 12-months. The first fruits of this switch will
| appear in RHEL (Red Hat Enterprise Linux) 5.4, which is due out in August
| 2009.
`----

http://practical-tech.com/infrastructure/red-hat-makes-kvm-its-linux-virtualization-of-choice/

KVM virtualisation in Red Hat Linux next year

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://opensource.cbronline.com/news/kvm_virtualisation_in_red_hat_linux_next_year_021208