[News] Studio Dave Explores More Linux Audio Programs

  • Subject: [News] Studio Dave Explores More Linux Audio Programs
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 00:47:18 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Three For O

,----[ Quote ]
| Among the new features we find support for
| Jack-MIDI and the ability to summon
| Linuxsampler as a DSSI or LV2 plugin
| instrument.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/three-o

Recent:

Building Linux Audio Applications 101: A User's Guide, Part 1

,----[ Quote ]
| I have purposefully avoided any discussion of GUI-based tools. There are some
| very nice GUI-based development tools and utilities for Linux, but for
| present purposes I have chosen to target the lowest common denominator of
| programming environments, the Linux command line (a.k.a. the terminal
| prompt). Regardless of flavor, size, or shape, all Linux distributions
| include command-line access to the system. And if you've never worked at a
| Linux console command-line, have no fear: If you can enter your name in a
| login dialog you can enter and execute commands at the terminal prompt. The
| power is in your hands.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/building-linux-audio-applications-101-users-guide-part-1

Build A Real Time Audio Studio

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux is a fantastic platform for audio production. Find out how to build the
| perfect production environment.
|
| [...]
|
| ALSA, or the Advanced Linux Sound Architecture, sits within the Linux kernel
| itself as a series of hardware drivers. Audio data is passed from ALSA to the
| user-level applications that manipulate the audio. But despite this low level
| integration and a built-in potential for good low latency performance, most
| default Linux installations make poor audio production computers. Thatâs
| because thereâs still too much going on in the background, and too many
| throwbacks from the time when Linux was designed primarily for server
| installation.
|
| Luckily, Linux is a highly configurable operating system, and this means that
| you can create the perfect audio platform just by making a few tweaks. Weâve
| chosen the latest version of Ubuntu to be our guinea pig.
`----

http://www.pcplus.co.uk/node/3091/

Little Boxes: Audio Production Hardware At Studio Dave

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux sound software has been the foundation of my music studio since the
| late 1990s, but as we all know, that software won't produce so much as a peep
| without the right hardware. Setting up a stable Linux system for audio
| production can be problematic enough, and the wrong decision about your
| hardware can render your otherwise powerful system mute and tuneless. This
| article briefly describes some of the audio production hardware I've acquired
| and employed here at Studio Dave during the last ten years. I hope that my
| readers find this information helpful when making their own decisions about
| their audio hardware purchases.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/little-boxes-audio-production-hardware-studio-dave

Related:

The November Cornucopia: One Month In Linux Audio

,----[ Quote ]
| This week I'm your straight reporter bringing you news of
| of updates, upgrades, and new releases in the world of
| Linux audio software. Development in this world is
| continuously productive, so I'll present only a selection
| of the Linux sound and music applications and utilities
| announced in the month of November in the year 2008.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/november-cornucopia-one-month-linux-audio

Audio/Visual Synthesis: The New Arts, Part 2

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/audiovisual-synthesis-new-arts-part-2

Audio/Visual Synthesis For Linux: The New Art, Part 1

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/audiovisual-synthesis-linux-new-art-part-1

Five of the Best Linux Audio Players

http://fourforces.blogspot.com/2008/05/five-of-best-linux-music-players.html