[News] Red Hat How Strategy of Expansion on the Desktop

  • Subject: [News] Red Hat How Strategy of Expansion on the Desktop
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 06:44:02 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Red Hat: We will use virtualisation to target enterprise desktops

,----[ Quote ]
| The Linux operating system continues to grow
| in the server space, but has yet to make
| inroads on enterprise desktops.
`----

http://www.ameinfo.com/213702.html

ROSE Blog Interviews: Red Hat's Mel Chua

,----[ Quote ]
| Q: What do you currently do in open source?
| What do you love about it?
|
| A: I'm a member of Red Hat's Community
| Architecture team. I spend most of my time
| on open source in education teaching
| professors how to teach open source, leading
| the Fedora Marketing team, and generally
| getting things out of the way of people who
| want to Get Stuff Done. Basically, my job is
| to be contagiously enthusiastic. It's
| important to have the tech and communication
| skills to follow through on whatever gets
| sparked up â but really, I get to Be Excited
| for a living, which is pretty awesome.
| Outside of my day job, I also serve on the
| Sugar Labs Oversight Board and am learning a
| tremendous deal about project governance
| that way.
`----

http://www.linux-magazine.com/Online/Blogs/ROSE-Blog-Rikki-s-Open-Source-Exchange/ROSE-Blog-Interviews-Red-Hat-s-Mel-Chua

Harish Pillay and Brian Aker debate with Richard Stallman (Part 2)

,----[ Quote ]
| The attendees were not satisfied with the
| first answer RMS gave to Brian, that Harish
| Pillay (Chief Technical Architect, Red Hat
| Singapore), chose to ask RMS what more he
| had to say, with regards to the letter heâd
| written. He answered quite candidly in this
| video, which Brian chimed in for as well.
`----

http://www.bytebot.net/blog/archives/2009/10/25/harish-pillay-and-brian-aker-debate-with-richard-stallman-part-2

Recent:

Red Hat fights open source corner

,----[ Quote ]
| Red Hat, which sells subscriptions to an
| open source server operating system based on
| Linux, posted positive results for the
| financial quarter ending 31 August 2009,
| with software subscription revenue up 15 per
| cent year on year to $156.3m (Â94.4m), and
| net income totalling $28.9m (Â17.5m)
| compared with $21.1m (Â12.8m) in the same
| period last year.
|
| Werner Knoblich, vice president and general
| manager of the company's Europe, Middle East
| and Africa region, tells Computing about
| successful open source subscription models,
| ongoing battles with proprietary vendors for
| a level playing field, and opportunities for
| open source software in cloud computing.
`----

http://www.computing.co.uk/computing/analysis/2251812/red-hat-fights-open-source

Red Hat enjoys fruit of recession

,----[Quote  ]
| According to the company's EMEA boss, Werner
| Knoblich, who spoke to The Register at Red Hat's
| London office yesterday, the battle to win the
| hearts and minds of enterprise outfits was slowly
| but surely starting to pay off.
`----

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2009/10/21/red_hat_isvs/

Red Hat Ranked as #1 Software Vendor for Fifth Time in CIO Insight Study

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/pressRelease/idUS121722+20-Oct-2009+BW20091020