[News] Tons of Ubuntu 9.10 Coverage Ahead of Release, Good Reviews

  • Subject: [News] Tons of Ubuntu 9.10 Coverage Ahead of Release, Good Reviews
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 06:53:47 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Ubuntu readies the Karmic Koala

,----[ Quote ]
| What do French gendarmes, Andalucian school
| children, Wikipedia and San Francisco
| International airport have in common?
|
| It is not the set up for a tortuous pun.
| Instead all of them are big users of the
| free Ubuntu operating system.

Shuttleworth stretches Ubuntu from netbooks to heavens

,----[ Quote ]
| The desktop and server editions of the
| "Karmic Koala" Ubuntu 9.10 release were
| officially launched today, although
| Canonical was talking up the server edition
| two weeks ago, which includes an integrated,
| EC2-compatible cloud computing environment
| that is based on the open source Eucalyptus
| Project and uses KVM virtual machines. But
| the desktop edition has seen plenty of work,
| as El Reg explained in this review of the
| release candidate at the beginning of the
| month.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/10/26/ubuntu_karmic_shuttleworth/

Mark Shuttleworth: 10 Thoughts On Ubuntu 9.10

,----[ Quote ]
| 1. The User Experience: âWe wanted to bring
| design and user experience to [the Linux]
| desktop.â Shuttleworth believes Ubuntu 9.10
| achieves those goals.
`----

http://www.workswithu.com/2009/10/26/mark-shuttleworth-10-thoughts-on-ubuntu-910/

Ubuntu: The 'Default Alternative' to Windows?

,----[ Quote ]
| He added that there are real benefits to
| having a complete platform, giving
| developers the opportunity to both develop
| and deploy applications using Ubuntu's brand
| of Linux.
`----

http://www.internetnews.com/bus-news/article.php/3845611/

Everything You Need To Know about Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic Koala)

,----[ Quote ]
| On October 29, Canonical is set to release
| Ubuntu 9.10 (codenamed âKarmic Koalaâ), the
| newest installment in the Ubuntu product
| line. In anticipation of this release, we
| took the release candidate (RC) for a test
| drive. Ubuntu 9.10 RC comes on a LiveCD just
| like its predecessors and allows you to test
| a fully-functional installation of the
| operating system without installing it. The
| boot process looks very different from
| previous versions, especially since the old
| progress bar has been replaced with one that
| just moves from left to right while
| providing very little useful boot progress
| information.
`----

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/everything_you_need_know_about_ubuntu_910_karmic_koala

Ubuntu's new Linux tries getting cloud-friendly

,----[ Quote ]
| "What frustrates me is the term 'cloud' has
| come to mean anything with an Internet
| connection, including some stuff that really
| looks familiar like internal IT," said
| Shuttleworth in an interview. It's fair to
| say that in Ubuntu's case, though, it's not
| a stretch.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-30685_3-10382984-264.html

Ubuntu Opening The Doors

,----[ Quote ]
| Ubuntu fans will already know that there are
| three more days until the latest version of
| Ubuntu drops, and we'll be knee-deep in
| coverage when it does. Shortly after version
| 9.10, or Karmic Koala, lands on the
| metaphorical shelves, the next round of
| development will hit the ground running.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/ubuntu-opening-doors

Ubuntu 9.10 Desktop Edition puts the user at the heart of its new design

http://www.ubuntu.com/news/ubuntu-910

Ubuntu Linux 9.10 (Karmic Koala)

,----[ Quote ]
| Since the launch of Desktop Linux Reviews,
| Iâve covered a number of different
| remastered versions of Ubuntu Linux. But I
| havenât done a review of Ubuntu itself. I
| wanted to wait until there was a significant
| enough release as Iâd done a review for
| ExtremeTech back when I was a full-time
| employee there.
|
| Iâm happy to note that Ubuntu Linux has hit
| version 9.10 and has some nifty new features
| that make it worth reviewing here.
`----

http://desktoplinuxreviews.com/2009/10/26/ubuntu-linux-9-10-karmic-koala/

Recent:

Preview of Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

,----[ Quote ]
| The release of the newest version of Ubuntu is only
| 10 days away. Many sites, including MakeTechEasier
| have covered its pending arrival and given you a
| glimpse of the Beta version. Today we are going to
| take a look at Kubuntu, the KDE-based version of
| Ubuntu.
`----

http://maketecheasier.com/preview-of-kubuntu-karmic-koala/2009/10/19

REVIEW: Ubuntu 9.10 Beta Promises to Strengthen Distro's
Position as Desktop Favorite

,----[ Quote ]
| The beta of Ubuntu 9.10--or Karmic Koala as
| it's also known--offers the core open-
| source updates you would expect. But it
| also provides important enhancements in the
| areas of disk encryption, tightened system
| permissions and cloud service integration--
| all of which combine to make Ubuntu even
| more attractive as the Linux distro of
| choice on the desktop.
`----

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Linux-and-Open-Source/REVIEW-Ubuntu-910-Beta-Promises-to-Strengthen-Distros-Position-as-Desktop-Favorite-845567/

Ubuntu Linux Server Simplifies the Cloud

,----[ Quote ]
| New Linux server hands VARs and resellers
| an out-of-the-box way to sell private cloud
| computing behind the firewall.
|
| With new Ubuntu Enterprise Cloud (EUC)
| capabilities and tools now fully integrated
| into its upcoming Ubuntu 9.10 Server
| Edition operating system, Linux vendor
| Ubuntu is getting ready to spread the
| benefits and promise of cloud computing to
| corporate users, VARs and resellers.
`----

http://www.channelinsider.com/c/a/Linux-and-Unix/Ubuntu-Linux-Server-Simplifies-the-Cloud-397970/

Significant improvements in Ubuntu 9.10

,----[ Quote ]
| I recently installed the beta version of the upcoming
| version of Ubuntu codenamed Karmic Kuala. The changes
| since 9.04 are somewhat subtle yet significant.
| Already in the beta you can feel the polish that went
| into it. Below, in no particular order, I shall rant
| about a few improvements that puts a smile on my
| face.
`----

http://www.circlingthesun.co.za/?p=172

Karmic Koala: The best Ubuntu Linux ever?

,----[ Quote ]
| Another real nice addition to this
| distribution for new users is the Ubuntu
| Software Center. This take on an apps store,
| makes it mindlessly easy for people to find
| and install software. Experienced Linux users
| won't need this. For them, the Synaptic
| package manager and all the other usual
| package installation programs are there, and
| that's great. But, if you have a friend who's
| just getting their feet wet in Linux, this
| feature is great.
`----

http://blogs.computerworld.com/14871/karmic_koala_the_best_ubuntu_linux_ever

Screenshots Tour of Ubuntu Karmic Koala 9.10 Beta

,----[ Quote ]
| Yes, after six months down the road, itâs time
| to gear up for the newly born Ubuntu baby
| again. This time, Ubuntu 9.10, codenamed
| Karmic Koala, will be officially released on
| 29th Oct 2009.  We, at MakeTechEasier have not
| been slacking around. With the release of the
| 9.10 beta, we have grabbed the LiveCD image,
| wipe our machines clean and installed the full
| version onto it. Now, let us present you the
| screenshots tour (and new features) review of
| Ubuntu Karmic Koala 9.10 beta.
`----

http://maketecheasier.com/screenshots-tour-ubuntu-karmic-910/2009/10/06

Ubuntu 9.10 Preview: New Login Manager

,----[ Quote ]
| Other aesthetic improvements in Ubuntu 9.10 include new
| default wallpaper and icon themes.  Stay tuned to
| WorksWithU for coverage of these and other new features in
| Karmic.
`----

http://www.workswithu.com/2009/10/03/ubuntu-910-preview-new-login-manager/

Breathe Icon Theme v0.51 :A nice icon theme set for ubuntu

,----[ Quote ]
| Announced today the release of Breathe Icon Theme v0.51!. A
| new effort to create a set of icons mixing the modern style
| of KDEs "Oxygen" icons with Ubuntu's "Human" set. This icon
| set has been crafted by the Ubuntu Artwork community and
| therefor has Ubuntu in mind for it's intended use. "Because
| humans need Oxygen."
`----

http://www.unixmen.com/news-today/427-breathe-icon-theme-v051-a-nice-icon-theme-set-for-ubuntu

Ubuntu 9.10 Netbook Remix Is Looking Great

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ubuntu_910_netbook&num=1