[News] Free Software in Smartphones Becomes Dominant

  • Subject: [News] Free Software in Smartphones Becomes Dominant
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 07:20:20 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

The quest for a truly open smartphone: can it be done?

,----[ Quote ]
| Although a growing number of smartphone
| makers are embracing Linux and open source
| software, the dream of a fully open phone
| remains elusive. Advocates of software
| freedom are looking for solutions.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/open-source/news/2009/10/the-quest-for-a-truly-open-smartphone-can-it-be-done.ars

A sheep on a unicycle

,----[ Quote ]
| Symbian, one of the oldest of old school
| mobile institutions, has seen some changes
| of late. Thereâs an open source bandwagon
| rolling through the industry and Symbianâs
| on it along with Google, the Open Handset
| Alliance, LiMo and the many other flavours
| of Linux. But Symbianâs taken the whole open
| source thing to [its big yellow] heart,
| shifting from a for-profit venture to a not-
| for-profit organisation, along with a whole
| new touchy-feely brand.
`----

http://www.telecoms.com/15361/a-sheep-on-a-unicycle

Symbian looks for open source, Qt boost

,----[ Quote ]
| Symbian, the world's most popular smartphone
| operating system, is betting on giving its
| software free to developers and on including
| "Qt" technology in its system to stem its
| loss of market share.
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/marketsNews/idUSLR38529320091027

Recent: