[News] Nokia's Linux Phones Show Promise as Smartphones Market Grows

  • Subject: [News] Nokia's Linux Phones Show Promise as Smartphones Market Grows
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 09:45:12 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Analyst: Nokia planning Maemo iPhone competitor

,----[ Quote ]
| Nokia plans to release a mass-market, Linux-
| based Maemo smartphone to compete with
| Apple's iPhone in the second half of 2010,
| according to UBS analyst Maynard Um.
| Although the move appears to signal an
| increasing reliance by Nokia on Maemo at the
| expense of Symbian, a Nokia spokesman said
| the company still considers the Symbian
| platform its main smartphone operating system.
`----

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/analyst-nokia-planning-maemo-iphone-competitor/2009-10-28

PC makers are looking to smartphones

,----[ Quote ]
| This is only expected to continue, with
| smartphones expected to account for about 37
| per cent of global handset sales by 2012, up
| from the 14 per cent stake they currently
| hold.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1559896/pc-makers-looking-smartphones

Recent:

Hands On With Nokiaâs N900

,----[ Quote ]
| The N900 will start shipping around the end of
| November and will cost $650. Weâll have a full
| review on the finished hardware before then. So
| far the N900 shows a great deal of promise â
| Nokia is definitely doing the right thing when
| it comes to an open platform and a lack of
| Symbian. Now if only they could get a carrier
| to subsidize the device and help bring the cost
| down a little bit.
`----

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/10/hands-on-with-nokias-n900/

Linux in your hand; from geeks only to consumer friendly mass market

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux is not new to the mobile phone world,
| but in the past the majority of Linux-based
| phones were sold in China or were feature
| phones with âhiddenâ Linux builds, such as
| the Motorola RAZR2 V8, MotoZine ZN5, and
| Motorola ROKRs. Companies have taken the
| power of Linux and are bringing that to the
| mass market with these latest smartphones.
| These Linux-based operating systems are
| attractive to device makers because of the
| free or relatively inexpensive licensing
| agreements. We also see some of these high
| end Linux-based operating systems being
| quite open, primarily when looking at
| Google Android and Nokia Maemo 5 and 6.
| Palmâs WebOS is primarily a closed system
| at this time.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/cell-phones/?p=2384

Nokia N900 hype refuses to die down despite global launch delay

,----[ Quote ]
| The hype surrounding the anticipated launch
| of Nokia's flagship N900 smartphone is
| refusing to die down despite the Finnish
| mobile phone maker saying shipping of the
| smartphone has been delayed till November.
`----

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/20091026/nokia-n900-hype-refuses-die-down-despite-global-launch-delay.htm

Nokia N900 Becomes More Desirable

,----[ Quote ]
| For those whoâve missed the vast coverage of
| the Nokia N900 itâs a new Linux based handset
| that uses the latest in Internet Tablet
| technology.
`----

http://www.3g.co.uk/PR/Oct2009/Nokia-N900-Becomes-More-Desirable-3G.html

Videos and details reveal features of the Nokia N900 Internet Tablet

,----[ Quote ]
| As you can see the Nokia N900 is a very capable
| device, even with this early software build
| currently loaded on it. I plan to post many
| more videos and thoughts on other areas of the
| device so stay tuned for more coverage. Please
| do let me know if you have any questions on the
| N900 and I will try to answer those as well. I
| am working on a post related to the N900 and
| enterprise usage for posting here.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/cell-phones/?p=2358

What extra functionality would you most like to see in the Nokia N900?

,----[ Quote ]
| Yesterday we posted a story calling for
| your suggestions on what we should do
| with the N900 when we finally get hold of
| ours. The response has been overwhelming
| â in less than 24 hours over 80 of you
| have shared your ideas, leaving heaps of
| smart suggestions (read them all here),
| and theyâre still flooding in.
`----

http://conversations.nokia.com/2009/10/08/what-extra-functionality-would-you-most-like-to-see-in-the-nokia-n900/

Hands On Nokia N900 smartphone demo

,----[ Quote ]
| We managed to get a little quality time with the
| Nokia N900 smartphone running Maemo and Linux. This
| smartphone, sporting killer specs and 3G HSDPA for T-
| Mobile US and Europe should begin shipping in the
| next few weeks. Notice how quick the device is when
| switching between desktop screens and applications--
| the multitasking is very impressive thanks to 256
| megs of RAM and virtual memory that brings it up to 1
| gig of application RAM.
`----

http://www.mobiletechreview.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Number=34817

Nokia N900 â Top of the Hacks

,----[ Quote ]
| Push N900 invites hackers, mods, creatives, and coders to push
| the Linux powered N900 to its limits and if you havenât
| already begun creating your masterpiece you should probably
| get cracking, as the competition, in which you can get your
| hands on a Nokia N900 and funding to realise your designs,
| ends on the 11th October.
`----

http://noknok.tv/2009/10/05/nokia-n900-top-of-the-hacks/

Nokia N900 Gets Full Review