[News] Android Grows Fast at the Expense of Windows

  • Subject: [News] Android Grows Fast at the Expense of Windows
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 09:47:19 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Droid Steps Out of the Shadows

,----[ Quote ]
| Motorola is crossing its fingers and holding
| its breath -- the handset manufacturer
| desperately needs a winner. Droid, the
| Android smartphone that Verizon is
| positioning as the strongest challenger yet
| to the iPhone, will be available for
| purchase on Nov. 6. Droid is the first
| smartphone to run on Android 2.0, which
| includes access to mobile navigation
| functionality provided by Google Maps.

Big Cellphone Makers Shifting to Android System

,----[ Quote ]
| Since 1996, Microsoft has been writing
| operating systems for little computers to
| carry in your pocket. It was a lonely
| business until the companyâs perennial
| rival, Apple, introduced the Web-browsing,
| music-playing iPhone. But now that
| smartphones are popular, Microsoftâs
| operating system, Windows Mobile, is
| foundering.
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/26/technology/26android.html

Congratulations B&N, you've built my Kindroid. So now what?

,----[ Quote ]
| It never occurred to me that the Kindroid
| might actually become reality in the near
| future, and that the theoretical device
| would be introduced by Barnes & Noble,
| Amazonâs prime competition in the brick and
| mortar space. Still, I am impressed and
| somewhat vindicated that the Kindroid or a
| similar device that resembled my proposed
| configuration came into existence as the
| Nook.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/perlow/?p=11457

Microsoft, Google and the Bear

,----[ Quote ]
| âWe believe Android is an insurance policy
| against any potential collusion from
| carriers, manufacturers and competitors to
| either block or downgrade Google services,â
| he wrote. âGoogle is hoping to further
| fragment the OS market to avoid any
| concentration of power in the hands of one
| or two competitors.â
|
| In other words, Android doesnât have to beat
| the iPhone. It just has to be better than
| Windows Mobile.
`----

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/10/26/microsoft-google-and-the-bear/?partner=rss&emc=rss

Google Sweetens Pot For Android Developers With Eclair SDK

,----[ Quote ]
| What's creamy, loaded with carbs and
| sinfully delicious? Google would have us
| believe it's the new Android 2.0 software
| development kit (SDK) released this week.
`----

http://www.crn.com/mobile/220900798;jsessionid=WVSQG324UOMYDQE1GHPSKH4ATMY32JVN

Android 2.0 pumps up sync, contact APIs

,----[ Quote ]
| The Google-sponsored Android project has
| released version 2.0 of Android, featuring
| new APIs for sync, the account manager, and
| contacts. Among other enhancements, Android
| 2.0 (Eclair) features a "Quick Contact"
| feature that lets users tap a contact photo
| to call, SMS, or e-mail the person, says a
| story in eWEEK.
`----

http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/Android-20/?kc=rss

Android and Symbian on the same phone? Yes it's true

,----[ Quote ]
| Now, OK Labs reckons it is the world leader
| in "mobile virtualisation" and that in a
| short time, we'll be able to have it all.
| If, for example, the best way of running
| communications is through a BREW application
| (normally, exclusive to Qualcomm-based
| phones) but the best phone directory is
| Android, then you'll have them both. You may
| never even know, or need to know.
`----

http://www.unthinkable.biz/home/article/777/android-symbian-

Android ported to PowerPC

,----[ Quote ]
| Freescale Semiconductor says it is now
| accepting orders for a hardware/software
| platform for developing Android applications
| on Power Architecture PowerQUICC and QorIQ
| processors. The initial MPC8536E-ADK Android
| platform, which combines an Android runtime
| developed by Mentor Graphics and a board
| based on the PowerQUICC III MPC8536E,
| appears to be the first Android port to the
| PowerPC.
`----

http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/Freescale-Mentor-Graphics-MPC8536EADK/?kc=rss

Mot, Verizon announce Android phone

,----[ Quote ]
| Verizon Wireless announced its first Android
| phone, built by Motorola. Due to ship Nov. 6
| for $200, the slider-based "Droid" offers a
| 550MHz ARM Cortex-A8 processor, a 3.7-inch
| touchscreen, a five-megapixel camera, voice
| recognition, and Google Maps Navigation with
| turn-by-turn voice guidance.
`----

http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/Verizon-Wireless-Droid-by-Motorola/?kc=rss

Google Steps Into Another Market: GPS for Phones

,----[ Quote ]
| In a move that is likely to be seen as an
| attack on yet another industry, Google on
| Wednesday said it would release a free
| navigation system for mobile phones that
| offers turn-by-turn directions.
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/29/technology/companies/29gps.html?_r=2&hp

Recent:

Raytheon Sends Android To Battlefield

,----[ Quote ]
| Google's mobile operating system Android has won
| plenty of adherents among cellphone makers and
| gadget manufacturers since its 2007 debut. Now
| defense contractor Raytheon is preparing it for a
| more urgent mission: saving lives in places like
| Afghanistan and Pakistan.
`----

http://www.forbes.com/2009/10/19/android-google-military-technology-wireless-raytheon.html

Is Google prepping its own Android phone?

,----[ Quote ]
| In his latest "top-ten" analysis piece, eWEEK's
| Don Reisinger warns Apple that the recent
| alliance between Google and Verizon Wireless
| over Android could prove formidable indeed. In
| recent days, Verizon teased the public with ads
| about a new Droid phone (from all accounts, the
| much-rumored Motorola "Sholes," pictured at
| right in an image from the Android Guys). The
| ads provokes Apple directly over alleged
| limitations to the iPhone compared to the
| Droid.
`----

http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/Google-Android-phone-and-AOSP/?kc=rss

Acer to release Android smartphone

,----[ Quote ]
| It's based on a Snapdragon processor, likely
| clocked at 1 GHz,  with 256 MB RAM. The Android
| 1.6 operating system (code named "Donut") is
| housed on its internal 512 MB Flash drive and
| there is a microSDHC slot for adding extra
| storage. The 3.5 inch capacitive touch screen
| has a resolution of 800 Ã 480 pixels.
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Acer-to-release-Android-smartphone-834091.html

First Google Android netbook ships with Firefox, not Chrome!

,----[ Quote ]
| And since Google has not yet come out with an
| official stable version of Chrome for Linux,
| the Android system still runs on Mozilla
| Firefox. Of course, using the default Android
| Web browser for cell phones would be quite
| inconvenient on a computer. The reviewer notes
| that while it handles most Web sites like any
| normal Windows version of Firefox would,
| sometimes, certain key commands wouldn't
| register in Google Search or Firefox.
`----

http://www.thinkdigit.com/Laptops-PCs/First-Google-Android-netbook-ships-with-Firefox_3574.html

Dark Days for Windows Mobile, But Not For Open Source Platforms

,----[ Quote ]
| Things are looking increasingly bad for Microsoft's Windows
| Mobile operating system, and they may be looking bad for
| Palm, too. As GigaOm notes: "Like a desperate gambler down
| to his last few chips, Palm is ditching Windows Mobile and
| going all in with its own webOS." That will leave the Pre
| as Palm's big bet in the smartphone arena, and the company
| has said that the Pre now accounts for the vast majority of
| the smartphones that it sells (823,000 units in the most
| recent quarter, in line with analyst's expectations).
`----

http://ostatic.com/blog/dark-days-for-windows-mobile-but-not-for-open-source-platforms

Does Microsoft Windows Mobile Have A Future?

,----[ Quote ]
| Name Change = Desperation
| Even Microsoft seems to know it is in trouble. One clear sign of a failing product line
| is a name change. After using Windows Mobile since the operating system's launch at the
| turn of the millennium, the company decided that phones running version 6.5 of the
| operating system will be known as Windows phones, a subtle but telling distinction.
|
| So where will Microsoft go from here? The company has put a lot of time and money into
| its mobile OS. Because of its tight connection with Microsoft Office desktop
| applications, the operating system has had significant appeal to small and medium
| businesses. But that integration also carried a price in terms of ease of use and
| performance. And the market seems to be saying Office compatibility may no longer be
| enough to compete with faster, sexier, and easier-to-use smartphones running on other
| operating systems.
`----

http://www.bmighty.com/mobile/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=219700387

Report: Microsoft Will Make Windows Mobile Cheaper To Compete With Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft (NSDQ: MSFT) will adopt a two-pronged approach to the mobile
| operating system market that will be able to compete against both the iPhone
| and Android, according to a report in DigiTimes that claims to know
| Microsoftâs Windows Mobile roadmap.
`----

http://moconews.net/article/419-report-microsoft-will-make-windows-mobile-cheaper-to-compete-with-open-/

Did Microsoft Just Throw WinMo Under A Bus?

,----[ Quote ]
| If you're itching to buy that hot new WinMo smartphone, go for it. Just don't
| act surprised when the next version of Windows Mobile turns out to be the
| last.
`----

http://www.bmighty.com/blog/main/archives/2009/08/did_microsoft_j.html

Microsoft's Windows Mobile: Time to Hang Up?

,----[ Quote ]
| There are better ways for Microsoft to make money from smartphones than to
| keep investing in a mobile operating system that's losing share and relevance
`----

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/aug2009/tc2009087_110164.htm?chan=technology_technology+index+page_software

Is Googleâs Android Killing Windows Mobile?

,----[ Quote ]
| I wonder if it will be too late for the company to make a comeback, similar
| to Zune struggling to playsanjay  catch-up with the iPod. So while there is a
| lot of focus on Apple v Google, the real battle is actually between Microsoft
| Windows Mobile and Google Android. It looks like Google has drawn its first
| blood.
`----

http://gigaom.com/2009/07/30/is-googles-android-killing-windows-mobile/

Motorola disses Windows Mobile: Android "more competitive"

,----[ Quote ]
| Handset maker Motorola has revealed plans to scale back its commitment to
| Windows Mobile as it continues to increase its investment in Google's open
| source Android mobile platform.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/2009/02/motorola-says-android-more-competitive-than-windows-mobile.ars

Motorola pushes ahead with Android phones

,----[ Quote ]
| Jha praised Android, noting that 3,000 applications have already been
| developed for it. Motorola will focus on integrating messaging and social
| networking with the Android devices, he said, and will offer a range of
| devices in the high- and mid-tier price ranges. "We are probably investing as
| much as anybody on the Android platform," he added.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/article/301565/motorola_pushes_ahead_android_phones?rid=-50

Motorola Pledges Cheaper Android Phones

,----[ Quote ]