[News] Free Software Ideals Keep Inspiring Freedom of Data

  • Subject: [News] Free Software Ideals Keep Inspiring Freedom of Data
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 10:10:58 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Open data on cities: an international round up

,----[ Quote ]
| Over the last few months there have been
| lots of exciting announcements about open
| data from cities around the world. We
| decided to take a look at what is currently
| out there - in particular taking note of:
|
|    1. Whether datasets are open as in the
|    Open Knowledge Definition - i.e. whether
|    they explicitly say that they can be used
|    by anyone, for any purpose, without
|    restriction (except perhaps attribution,
|    integrity or sharealike requirements).
`----

http://blog.okfn.org/2009/10/27/open-data-on-cities-an-international-round-up/

HP, UMich deal means a "real" future for scanned books

,----[ Quote ]
| HP and the University of Michigan have inked
| a deal that will see HP reprinting rare and
| out-of-print books from Michigan's library
| via the printer maker's print-on-demand
| service. Here's why this is potentially as
| important as anything Google Books is doing.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/media/news/2009/10/-in-a-novel-retro.ars?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss

Biophysical Economics: A Different View

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the things that I have felt for a
| while is that mainstream economics isn't
| really the best way to look at free
| software, or any of the other intellectual
| commons or - even more importantly - the
| environmental commons, since economics is
| really about consumption.
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2009/10/biophysical-economics-different-view.html

Recent: