[News] Another Huge Win for Ogg Theora, Mozilla Jubilant

  • Subject: [News] Another Huge Win for Ogg Theora, Mozilla Jubilant
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 10:12:13 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

another top 20 website supports Theora

,----[ Quote ]
| Earlier this week, Automattic, the company
| behind wordpress.com and WordPress (the
| software this weblog runs on) announced that
| they would be supporting Theora along with
| MPEG-4 as part of their VideoPress platform.
`----

http://www.0xdeadbeef.com/weblog/?p=1475

The Constantine Code and the Missing Standard!

,----[ Quote ]
| The long-unrealized standards secret that I
| am about to share is this: even the most
| mundane dynamic and procedural feature of
| the modern, global process of developing,
| maintaining, branding and certifying
| standards has been in existence for almost
| 1700 years. Moreover, it can trace its
| lineage to the master plan of a powerful
| Emperor who invoked the standards process to
| protect the very existence of his empire
| from the threat posed by a rogue bishop and
| his clamoring followers bent upon igniting a
| standards war.
`----

http://www.consortiuminfo.org/standardsblog/article.php?story=20091025151422531

Recent:

[theora] libtheora 1.1 (Thusnelda) stable release

,----[ Quote ]
| We are pleased to announce a new stable release of
| libtheora, the Xiph.org Foundation's reference
| implementation of the royalty-free Theora video format.
| This new release, version 1.1, codenamed Thusnelda,
| incorporates all of the recent encoder improvements we
| have been making over the past year, though some of the
| code had its genesis all the way back in 2003. It also
| brings substantial speed and robustness improvements to
| the 1.0 decoder.
`----

http://lists.xiph.org/pipermail/theora/2009-September/002807.html

New encoder library for Ogg Theora open source video codec

,----[ Quote ]
| The Xiph.org Foundation's open source developers have
| released version 1.1 ("Thusnelda") of their reference
| implementation of the libtheora encoder library.
| Thusnelda is said to offer considerable quality and
| performance improvements over version 1.0.
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/New-encoder-library-for-Ogg-Theora-open-source-video-codec--/news/114329

Whatâs the Problem with Theora?

,----[ Quote ]
| Based on what we actually know, Theora looks good.  It complies with the W3C
| patent policy and goals, and there havenât been any patent claims that would
| indicate otherwise.
`----

http://lockshot.wordpress.com/2009/07/30/whats-the-problem-with-ogg-theora/

Wikipedia push for Ogg Theora