[News] K Desktop Environment Gets Boost from Ubuntu Release

  • Subject: [News] K Desktop Environment Gets Boost from Ubuntu Release
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 21:47:26 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Ubuntu 9.10 'Karmic Koala' release gives KDE a boost

,----[ Quote ]
| Open source software vendor Canonical has
| released the new version of its Linux-based
| Ubuntu operating system, Ubuntu 9.10 --
| codenamed "Karmic Koala" -- and with it comes
| a number of updates to improve the KDE
| experience.
|
| Ubuntu has been a GNOME-centric Linux
| distribution since its initial release, and
| has been criticised for treating KDE like a
| "second-class citizen" on the desktop with the
| Kubuntu distribution playing "catch up" to the
| standard Ubuntu.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com.au/article/324380/ubuntu_9_10_karmic_koala_release_gives_kde_boost

Kubuntu 9.10 Release Adds Plasma Netbook Preview

,----[ Quote ]
| KDE-based distribution Kubuntu has released
| version 9.10 which adds a new variant
| showcasing the up and coming Plasma Netbook
| setup. The release also adds OpenOffice KDE
| 4 integration and extra installer beauty
| thanks to artwork from KDE's Oxygen team.
`----

http://www.kdenews.org/2009/10/29/kubuntu-910-release-adds-plasma-netbook-preview

Canonical Matures Linux-based Netbook OS

,----[ Quote ]
| Canonical on Thursday updated its Linux
| distribution for netbooks, simplifying the
| interface and adding new programs that the
| company says will make it easier for users
| to access and use Web content.
|
| The Ubuntu 9.10 Netbook Remix is designed to
| run basic Web and office applications
| typically used on netbooks. Netbooks are
| cheap and lightweight laptops characterized
| by limited computing resources and small
| screen sizes.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/174705/canonical_matures_linuxbased_netbook_os.html

Recent:

A closer look at Kubuntu Karmic Koala and KDE 4.3.1

,----[ Quote ]
| Ubuntu Karmic Koala is still in Beta status, but
| looks very promising. To some extend it beats the
| Release Candidate of Microsoft Windows 7, especially
| in Wireless networking support.
|
| The big win of Karmic Koala are its even further
| improved speed, less resources hungriness and
| improved hardware support.
|
| I tested Microsoft Windows 7 RC1 (build 7100),
| Kubuntu GNU/Linux Karmic Koala Alpha 5 and Ubuntu
| GNU/Linux Karmic Koala Beta 1 last week and I'm
| afraid Windows 7 will (b)eat the dust.
`----

http://osgeex.blogspot.com/2009/10/closer-look-at-kubuntu-karmic-koala-and.html

5 things make Kubuntu 9.10 special

,----[ Quote ]
| Less than 13 days and Kubuntu 9.10 will be released.
| It is based on Ubuntu 9.10 packages which means it
| will get: Linux kernel 2.6.31, ext4 filesystem by
| default,GRUB 2 boot loader and a lot more.
`----

http://linuxcrunch.com/content/5-things-make-kubuntu-910-special

Preview of Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

,----[ Quote ]