[News] Anti-Free Software Company SAP Can't Help Using Apache

  • Subject: [News] Anti-Free Software Company SAP Can't Help Using Apache
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 01 Nov 2009 13:21:58 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

SAP committed to Apache projects

,----[ Quote ]
| At this years SAP TechEd 2009 event in
| Vienna, SAP announced that it has joined a
| number of Apache Software Foundation
| projects. The goal of the move is to
| integrate some of the software into future
| releases of its NetWeaver Application Server
| component.
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/SAP-committed-to-Apache-projects-846703.html

Recent:

Playing to Win in the New Software Market

,----[ Quote ]
| Just over six months ago, I analysed a leaked early version
| of this, which was fascinating for the insight it gave into
| the manoeuvring going on by the different factions within
| that group. For alongside obvious supporters of free
| software, like the FSFE, there was also that well-known
| friend of Microsoft, the Association for Competitive
| Technology, and one of the biggest chums of software
| patents in Europe, SAP.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=2531&blogid=14

European Software Strategy industry paper

,----[ Quote ]
| The Commission of the European Union has published the final report on the
| European Software Strategy. It is a document drafted by several industry
| stakeholders, ironically most of them do not represent European companies. The
| preparatory documents are also published. The leakage of draft documents by an
| American SME representative causes great confusion. The editing policy did
| follow the same practice as the ICT Taskforce paper.
`----

http://arebentisch.wordpress.com/2009/09/11/european-software-strategy/

EU open-source document reflects Microsoft influence

,----[ Quote ]
| One such editor is Jonathan Zuck, president of the Association for
| Competitive Technology, a lobbying organization with strong ties to
| Microsoft. There is nothing wrong with Microsoft making its voice heard in
| the software strategy development process, as it stands to gain or lose much
| in the process, but it does make for some interesting political gamesmanship
| in the document.
|
| While the draft doesn't make it obvious who is saying what, there are
| numerous instances where editors have tried to soften the appeal of open
| source or downplay its significance, repeatedly trying to insist that open
| source not be called out as more significant than proprietary software.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-10193433-16.html

How to Hijack an EU Open Source Strategy Paper

,----[ Quote ]
| Others as in Microsoft and mates.
|
| All-in-all, the modifications to the document provide a fascinating insight
| into how lobbyists operate in their attempt to neuter threats to their
| constituencies through the shameless evisceration and outright inversion of
| content. Fortunately, when the final strategy document comes out, we will be
| able to pinpoint exactly where ACT's agenda has been inserted. Of course,
| before then we need to make the above document as widely known as possible,
| so that the relevant people at the European Union are aware of what's going
| on, and maybe even take action to prevent this gross distortion of the
| paper's purpose.
|
| In addition, we must ensure that Wikileaks can continue to provide its
| invaluable service. The world of openness â including open source - would be
| the poorer without it. To that end, we need to support its current call for
| funds to help it carry on its work, and I urge you to make a donation,
| however modest.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/how-hijack-eu-open-source-strategy-paper

European Commission OSS Strategy Draft, Mar 2009

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://wikileaks.org/wiki/European_Commission_OSS_Strategy_Draft%2C_Mar_2009