[News] "Open Source Whitepaper" Modified, Stresses Cost and Not Freedom

  • Subject: [News] "Open Source Whitepaper" Modified, Stresses Cost and Not Freedom
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 01 Nov 2009 13:20:41 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Open Source Whitepaper updated for 2010

,----[ Quote ]
| It is still relatively concise, but the fact
| that the numbers keep showing double- and
| triple-digit improvements in important
| metrics (compared with proprietary software),
| I felt that it would only be fitting to
| expand the content and the data by a
| commensurate amount. The premise holds that
| proprietary software is responsible for a
| direct dead-loss costs of $1T USD per year,
| although it is enhanced by the analysis of
| Roger Sessions showing that the sum of direct
| and indirect costs are closer to $6T USD per
| year. Either way you slice it, in these
| economic times, we simply cannot afford the
| status quo of proprietary software dominance,
| either in the IT choices we make or in the
| economic and legal agendas that they
| promulgate.
`----

http://opensource.org/node/486

ACC to GCs: Eliminate Software Costs

,----[ Quote ]
| For example, he encouraged audience members
| seeking a full-feature, Web-based enterprise
| document management system to consider the
| open-source version of KnowledgeTree or the
| community edition of Alfresco.
`----

http://www.law.com/jsp/legaltechnology/pubArticleLT.jsp?id=1202434943463&ACC_to_GCs_Eliminate_Software_Costs

Recent:

DOD open-sources more than 1M lines of code

,----[ Quote ]
| The U.S Department of Defense is not only
| encouraging use of open source applications,
| it recently open-sourced an enterprise human
| resources application that has over a
| million lines of code.
|
| This isn't the first time the DOD has
| released code to the public. In June, a PC-
| based mapping application developed by the
| Georgia Tech Research Institute for the
| military, FalconView, was also made
| available as open source.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9140053/DOD_open_sources_more_than_1M_lines_of_code

DoD: open source as good as proprietary software

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2009/102709-dod-opensource.html?hpg1=bn