[News] Nice Output from Blender Conference; More Free Software in Science

  • Subject: [News] Nice Output from Blender Conference; More Free Software in Science
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2009 08:46:48 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Eye and hair test

,----[ Quote ]
| At Blender conference I showed an animation
| of an eye. Because the textures are
| procedural we might be able to use this eye
| model to quickly bake high resolution
| textures for not so important characters.
| For our main characters I hope to actually
| model the iris for close ups, so that we
| get nice shadow casting. The eye movements
| are some 2.5 f-curve noise modifiers, only
| to get some life into the animation.
`----

http://durian.blender.org/news/eye-and-hair-test/#more-947

Open Source Science? Or Distributed Science?

,----[ Quote ]
| I was asked in an interview recently about
| "open source science" and it got me
| thinking about the ways that, in the "open"
| communities of practice, we frequently
| over-simplify the realities of how software
| like GNU/Linux actually came to be. Open
| Source refers to a software worldview. It's
| about software development, not a universal
| truth that can be easily exported. And it's
| well worth unpacking the worldview to
| understand it, and then to look at the
| realities of open source software as they
| map - or more frequently do not map - to
| science.
`----

http://scienceblogs.com/commonknowledge/2009/10/open_source_science_or_distrib.php

Relentless Advance Of Technology

,----[ Quote ]
| One major trend with the Internet is the
| open source environment.  Open source
| software is where the original source code
| is made freely available and may be
| redistributed with or without modification.
| There are many examples such as Linux,
| SourceForge or Wordpress.  The speed and
| adaptability of the open source environment
| cannot be ignored.
`----

http://www.citizeneconomists.com/blogs/2009/10/30/relentless-advance-of-technology/

NREL Releases Open-Source Live Solar Mapping Project

,----[ Quote ]
| The National Renewable Energy Laboratory
| has released The Open PV Mapping Project
| showing the progress of solar installations
| on private roofs from 2000 to (currently)
| now, beginning with a flurry of activity in
| California, then moving to Wyoming, of all
| places, and WIsconsin. Gradually the states
| turn yellow and then orange over time as
| they add more solar power.
`----

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=nrel-releases-open-source-live-sola-2009-10

Recent:

LabPlot and SciDAVis Collaborate on the Future of Free Scientific Plotting

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.kdenews.org/2009/10/16/labplot-and-scidavis-collaborate-future-free-scientific-plotting