[News] Personal Stories from Google Summer of Code and FSFE

  • Subject: [News] Personal Stories from Google Summer of Code and FSFE
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2009 08:48:17 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Master of codes

,----[ Quote ]
| The Google Summer of Code (GSOC) is a popular programme thatâs catching on
| among software techies and enthusiasts of Free Software.
|
| Sarath Lakshman, a fifth semester Computer
| Science student of the Model Engineering
| College, Kochi, has cleared the GSOC for a
| second time in 2009. ``My project is named
| Pardusman. It is a custom GNU/Linux distro
| creator from the web. We have numerous
| variants of GNU/Linux for different
| purposes, these variants are called
| GNU/Linux distributions.
`----

http://www.expressbuzz.com/edition/story.aspx?Title=Master+of+codes&artid=GvfgDxAD9H0=&SectionID=9R67TMeNb/w=&MainSectionID=9R67TMeNb/w=&SEO=&SectionName=gUhH3Holuas=

Fellowship interview with Leif-JÃran Olsson

,----[ Quote ]
| LJO: We had been working with sgml and
| later xml-technologies for a long time,
| annotating the corpus materials used in the
| research. We were using eXist-db in our
| work and wanted to contribute back. This
| resulted in an active involvement in the
| project. SQL databases are good for
| strictly regular or structured (the S in
| SQL) relational data. Xml on the contrary
| is all about hierarchy and sequence. This
| is the power of the information model.
`----

http://blogs.fsfe.org/fellowship-interviews/leif-joran-olsson/

Recent:

Behind the Scenes With a Google Summer of Code Student

,----[ Quote ]
| The dust has settled and all of the Google Summer of Code 2009
| (GSoC) students are getting back into the swing of school and
| jobs, but the experience they gained from participating in the
| project will last a lifetime. It's a great opportunity for
| aspiring developers to pair up with a mentor in the community
| to help them learn the ropes and understand what FOSS
| development is all about.
`----

http://ostatic.com/blog/behind-the-scenes-with-a-google-summer-of-code-student

What I Did On My Summer Holiday