[News] CBS Airs MAFIAA Propaganda, Contrary to Truth

  • Subject: [News] CBS Airs MAFIAA Propaganda, Contrary to Truth
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 04 Nov 2009 08:27:28 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

60 Minutes Puts Forth Laughable, Factually Incorrect MPAA Propaganda On Movie Piracy

,----[ Quote ]
| CBS's 60 Minutes has made itself out to be
| more of a laughingstock than usual when it
| comes to "investigative reporting," putting
| on an episode about "video piracy" that is
| basically 100% MPAA propaganda, without any
| fact checking or any attempt to challenge
| the (all MPAA connected) speakers, or to
| include anyone (anyone!) who would present
| a counterpoint. The episode is funny in
| that it contradicts itself at times (with
| no one noticing it) and gets important (and
| easily checked) facts wrong. And, of
| course, it basically mimics that old
| episode that history has shown to have been
| totally (laughably) false.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20091101/1818186751.shtml

Illegal downloaders 'spend the most on music', says poll

,----[ Quote ]
| People who illegally download music from
| the internet also spend more money on music
| than anyone else, according to a new study.
| The survey, published today, found that
| those who admit illegally downloading music
| spent an average of Â77 a year on music â
| Â33 more than those who claim that they
| never download music dishonestly.
`----

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/illegal-downloaders-spend-the-most-on-music-says-poll-1812776.html

The golden age of infinite music

,----[ Quote ]
| Not long ago, if you wanted music, you had
| to save up your pocket money, take a trip
| to the local record shop and lovingly leaf
| through its racks.
|
| Now, it's almost all free, instant and
| infinite. And our relationship with music
| has changed forever.
|
| [...]
|
| I use the free version of the music
| streaming application Spotify almost every
| day - and I now understand that it
| represents a genuine revolution in music
| consumption (and makes iTunes look
| pathetically old-fashioned).

Pirated software

,----[ Quote ]
| If you think I'm going to talk about the
| moral, legal, financial, and political
| implications of using software not
| according to various license agreements set
| by money-loving companies, you're wrong.
| This article is not about the subtle use of
| the word piracy, which is all about
| plunder, robbery and violence, with the
| somewhat foggy misuse of software in the
| free world of Internet. This article is not
| about big corporations and their draconian
| use of capital to squash competition and
| choke technological advancements. This
| article has nothing to do with digital
| piracy.
`----