[News] Ubuntu as a GNU/Linux Server Gets More Appeal

  • Subject: [News] Ubuntu as a GNU/Linux Server Gets More Appeal
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 05 Nov 2009 01:10:24 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Centrify takes to the cloud

,----[ Quote ]
| Centrify announced last week that it has
| added Ubuntu 9.10 Server Edition to the long
| list of non-Windows operating systems whose
| authentication it has integrated with Active
| Directory. It has supported Ubuntu for quite
| some time, but what really exited the
| Centrify folk was the fact that this version
| of Ubuntu includes an open source cloud
| computing environment that can be easily
| integrated with Active Directory through the
| Centrify Suite for identity, access and
| privilege management.
`----

http://www.networkworld.com/newsletters/dir/2009/110209id2.html?hpg1=bn

Ubuntu 9.10 'Karmic Koala' is here: 5 things CIOs must know

,----[ Quote ]
| The ability to run Ubuntu on Amazon's EC2
| infrastructure is not new, but Karmic
| consolidates the direction with supported
| images for the private Ubuntu Enterprise
| Cloud (UEC) and EC2.
`----

http://www.cio.com.au/article/324578/ubuntu_9_10_karmic_koala_here_5_things_cios_must_know

Maybe Ubuntu Enterprise Cloud Makes Cloud Computing Too Easy

,----[ Quote ]
| The latest version of Ubuntu Server (9.10)
| includes the Ubuntu Enterprise Cloud (UEC),
| which is actually powered by Eucalyptus. The
| ability to deploy a âcloudâ on any server
| running Ubuntu is really quite amazing,
| especially given the compatibility of
| Eucalyptus with Amazon and the plethora of
| application images available for nearly
| immediate deployment. It supports both a
| public and private option, and a hybrid
| model, and comes replete with management
| tools designed to make building, deploying,
| and managing your own personal, private
| cloud a breeze.
`----

http://linux.sys-con.com/node/1171675/print

Ubuntu bets on cloud computing, tie-ups

,----[ Quote ]
| Mumbai: UK-based software firm Canonical Ltd
| is banking on Karmic Koala, the latest
| version of its free Linux-based operating
| system (OS) Ubuntu that it launched last
| week, to penetrate markets such as India
| where an impending launch of third
| generation (3G) services is expected to make
| cloud computing accessible to individual
| users.
`----

http://www.livemint.com/2009/11/03005115/Ubuntu-bets-on-cloud-computing.html

Cloud Computing Technology Comparison Matrix

,----[ Quote ]
| In one of the following "open-space" session
| John Willis gave some great insights about
| the new Ubuntu Enterprise Cloud (UEC) which
| is now available in the Ubuntu Karmic release.
`----

http://www.openqrm.com/?q=node/157

Recent:

Eucalyptus Powers the Ubuntu Enterprise Cloud in Ubuntu 9.10

,----[ Quote ]
| Eucalyptus Systems, Inc., creators of the
| leading open source private cloud platform,
| today announced that Eucalyptus software is
| the engine behind the Ubuntu Enterprise
| Cloud (UEC), a new cloud computing solution
| packaged in the latest version of the
| popular Ubuntu distribution. UEC including
| Eucalyptus will ship with every copy of
| Ubuntu 9.10 Server Edition (announced
| today), which is fully supported by
| Canonical, the commercial sponsor of the
| Ubuntu project. Ubuntu 9.10 Server Edition
| with the UEC (powered by Eucalyptus) will be
| available for free download at
| www.ubuntu.com starting October 29.

Amazon Web Services: The Big MSP Disconnect

,----[ Quote ]
| Canonical CEO Mark Shuttleworth (the guy
| behind Ubuntu Linux) said Amazon Web
| Services has emerged as a de facto cloud
| standard until open, vendor-neutral cloud
| standards can be developed.
`----

http://www.mspmentor.net/2009/10/27/amazon-web-services-the-big-msp-disconnect/

Ubuntu 9.10 Server Edition launches with cloud integration

,----[ Quote ]
| Canonical launched Ubuntu 9.10 Server
| Edition featuring Ubuntu Enterprise Cloud
| (UEC) this week, on the heels of Microsoft's
| Windows Server 2008 R2 release.
|
| UEC is an open source cloud computing
| environment based on software from
| Eucalyptus Systems, providing an
| infrastructure for creating on-premise
| (private) cloud computing environments. It
| uses the same application programming
| interfaces (APIs) as Amazon EC2.
`----

http://searchcloudcomputing.techtarget.com/news/article/0,289142,sid201_gci1372520,00.html

Canonical Prepares Ubuntu Enterprise Cloud Training for VARs

,----[ Quote ]
| As Canonical prepares for Ubuntu 9.10âs
| October 29 launch, the companyâs channel and
| partner management team is developing an
| Ubuntu Enterprise Cloud training course for
| VARs, partners and IT managers. Hereâs the
| scoop.
`----

http://www.thevarguy.com/2009/10/27/canonical-prepares-ubuntu-enterprise-cloud-training-for-vars/

Ubuntu Server 9.10 Looks Skyward

,----[ Quote ]
| On Oct. 29, Ubuntu Server Edition 9.10 will
| be made available. It features Ubuntu
| Enterprise Cloud, an open source cloud
| computing environment based on the same
| application programming interfaces as
| Amazon EC2. Ubuntu 9.10 Server Edition will
| be available on the Amazon EC2 environment
| as an Amazon Machine Image.
`----

http://www.linuxinsider.com/rsstory/68366.html?wlc=1255539867

Canonical Set to Release Ubuntu 9.10 Server Edition

,----[ Quote ]
| "Ubuntu 9.10 Server Edition puts Ubuntu
| users at a unique advantage in being able
| to quickly and simply deploy and manage
| cloud environments. We strongly believe
| that businesses which are already embracing
| virtualized environments, will take the
| next logical step to these self-service,
| super-efficient architectures and that
| Ubuntu Enterprise Cloud will be at the
| heart of that effort," Canonical's Director
| of Corporate Services, Steve George said in
| a statement.
`----

http://ostatic.com/blog/canonical-set-to-release-ubuntu-9-10-server-edition

Canonical pushes out Ubuntu 9.10 server