[News] Many GNU/Linux Distributions the Very Strength That Spreads It

  • Subject: [News] Many GNU/Linux Distributions the Very Strength That Spreads It
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 06 Nov 2009 01:35:51 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Distributions *are* the strength of Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| People disagree, some people think that no
| operating system has any need for
| distributions, with all their difference and
| their central repositories that arenât as
| central. But one of the thing that impress
| most the users who switch is, in many cases
| (at least that I could look at myself) the
| presence of distributions and the ability to
| install almost any software by simply
| looking it up in the package manager.
`----

http://blog.flameeyes.eu/2009/11/05/distributions-are-the-strength-of-linux

The Psychology Of A Distrohopper

,----[ Quote ]
| Actually, I shouldnât say âtheirâ mentality
| as I must confess that I too am a
| distrohopper. I started out ages ago playing
| with different Linux distributions and just
| kept right on going with it. To this day I
| get excited when I see that a particular
| distro has a new release coming out. I
| usually canât wait to get my hands on it to
| test it and see what great new stuff is in
| it.
`----

http://jimlynch.com/index.php/2009/11/04/the-psychology-of-a-distrohopper/

Recent:

Of Making Many Distros (or Remixes) There Is No End

,----[ Quote ]
| If you are thinking about getting Linux on your computer,
| here's some advice: Look for a distro that has a strong online
| community and either a long history or a company backing it.
| The following are some good distros to check out:
|
| Ubuntu
|
| Debian
|
| Fedora
|
| Mandriva
|
| openSUSE
|
| It's no secret that I'm a fan of Ubuntu (it comes in five
| flavors!). If you really are new to Linux, I don't think you
| will find an easier distro to learn or a better community to
| support it, though someone will likely disagree with me on this
| point in favor of their favorite distro. That's fine. Just try
| out the live CD of whichever distro you are considering and
| reach your own conclusions.
`----

http://www.igneousquill.net/2009/09/of-making-many-distros-or-remixes-there.html

Torvalds rejects one-size-fits-all Linux

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/246534/torvalds-rejects-onesizefitsall-linux.html