[News] Linux/Android Ahead of the Rest in Good Phones

  • Subject: [News] Linux/Android Ahead of the Rest in Good Phones
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 07 Nov 2009 03:20:44 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

I'm in love with an eight megapixel Android

,----[ Quote ]
| Now that's what I call an Android phone.
| Actually, that's what I call an Android
| phone that might just kick some iPhone ass.
|
| The Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 social
| networking phone is Android powered and
| feature rich. How rich? Well, how does 1GB
| RAM plus 16Gb of flash storage and a
| stunning 8.1 megapixel camera that comes
| complete with a geo-tagging function strike
| you?
`----

http://www.daniweb.com/news/story236243.html

Vint Cerf mods Android for interplanetary interwebs

,----[ Quote ]
| The ultimate goal - at least for Cerf - is
| to bring the protocol to our earth's
| everyday wireless networks. The protocol,
| he says, has already been added to Google's
| Android open source mobile stack as an
| application platform - ie it sits on top of
| the OS.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/11/05/vint_cerf_on_mobile/

Why the Droid Eris is not running Android 2.0

,----[ Quote ]
| Another day, another Android phone. I
| believe we will soon come to a day when
| Android phones will be looked at with the
| same jaundiced eye as, say, the latest LG
| Chocolate, but since that day hasnât come,
| Iâll share a few observations with
| Verizonâs new $99 Hero-alike, the Eris.
`----

http://www.crunchgear.com/2009/11/05/why-the-droid-eris-is-not-running-android-2-0/

Android Mythbusters (Matt Porter)

,----[ Quote ]
| Some weeks ago I was attending Embedded
| Linux Conference Europe. My personal
| highlight at this event was the excellent
| Android Mythbusters presentation given by
| Matt Porter.
|
| As you may know, Matt Porter was heavily
| involved in the MIPS and PPC ports of
| Android, so he and his team have seen the
| lowest levels of Android, more and deeper
| than even cellphone manufacturers ever have
| to look into it.
|
| The slides of his presentation are now
| available for download. I would personally
| recommend this as mandatory reading
| material for everyone who has some interest
| in Android.
|
| The presentation explains in detail why
| Android is not what most people refer to
| when they say Linux. What most people mean
| when they say Linux is the GNU/Linux system
| with it's standard userspace tools, not
| only the kernel.
`----

http://laforge.gnumonks.org/weblog/2009/11/04/#20091104-android_mythbusters

Recent:

HTC HD2 vs Nokia N900 keyboard comparison

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the most common questions weâre being
| asked in the aftermath of our HTC HD2 unboxing
| is how its on-screen QWERTY keyboard compares
| to one of the other eye-catching smartphones of
| the quarter, the Nokia N900.  Weâve staged a
| quick size and keyboard comparison, and you can
| find the gallery â and read our early opinions
| on both devices â after the cut.
`----

http://www.slashgear.com/htc-hd2-vs-nokia-n900-keyboard-comparison-0362604/

Android Gaining on Microsoft?

,----[ Quote ]
| In fact, Financial Times reporter Chris
| Nuttall claims, Android could soon emerge
| as the major smartphone that isn't the
| iPhone. Android systems now operate on 12
| different phones with 32 phone carriers
| supporting them around the world. And
| Motorola, HTC, and Samsung are all busy
| developing their own Android-based
| handsets.
`----

http://www.thebigmoney.com/blogs/feeling-lucky/2009/10/26/android-gaining-microsoft

O'Brien: Why I was wrong about Google's Android

,----[ Quote ]
| It's time for me to do a mea culpa on
| Android.
|
| Google unveiled plans for its mobile
| operating system about two years ago, and
| rolled out the first phone based on
| Android about a year later. In both cases,
| I predicted doom.
|
| But I was wrong.
|
| I finally came to terms with this the
| other day while watching one of those
| suddenly ubiquitous "iDon't" ads on TV. If
| you haven't seen one, the ads slam the
| shortcomings of the iPhone ("iDon't have
| interchangeable batteries") while
| trumpeting the pending arrival of the
| Droid sometime in November.
|
| In this case, Droid is a smart-phone built
| by Motorola for Verizon that uses Android.
| Add those three corporate behemoths
| together, and you have some serious
| marketing dollars available to push this
| thing, whatever it actually turns out to
| be.
`----

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_13653910

Should Microsoft fear invasion of the Androids?

,----[ Quote ]
| The open-source Android operating system
| is gaining momentum, and Microsoft has
| been slow to respond, says a New York
| Times report.
`----

http://sprintconnection.kansascity.com/?q=node/1285

Android 2.0: The iPhone killer at last?

,----[ Quote ]
| In its three years, the iPhone has
| redefined the mobile device. But despite
| the iPhone's popularity, it is by no means
| certain to become the mobile equivalent of
| Windows, the dominant platform that
| defines our experience of a particular
| technology, as well as the business
| choices that surround it.
|
| Google's Android 2.0 OS is the latest in a
| series of mobile offerings seeking to
| derail the iPhone's momentum. Backed by
| heavyweights Google, Motorola, Verizon
| Wireless, Acer, and other big-name
| manufacturers, Android could potentially
| knock the iPhone down a peg. After all,
| while users love the iPhone, Apple's
| controlling tendencies have frustrated
| developers, and its disrespect for
| business concerns have frustrated IT.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9140079/Android_2.0_The_iPhone_killer_at_last_?taxonomyId=75

Motorola DROID: A Sleek and Powerful Android Phone

,----[ Quote ]
| The Motorola DROID is the first Android
| 2.0 device, and like other excellent
| competing smartphones it is being
| advertised as an iPhone-killer. With its
| sleek look and powerful features, I think
| it could become as successful as the RAZR
| and possibly surpass iPhoneâs popularity.
| But it will depend on whether or not its
| OS can really deliver the goods.
`----

http://www.junauza.com/2009/11/motorola-droid-sleek-and-powerful.html

Verizon Droid Targets iPhone

,----[ Quote ]
| After a series of teaser ads that attack
| Apple's iPhone, Verizon Wireless and
| Motorola officially unveiled Wednesday the
| Droid smartphone.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/telecom/business/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=221100111

What's new in Android 2.0? Part 1: User features

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Burnette/?p=1436

Hands on with the Motorola Droid: Sexy

,----[ Quote ]
`----