[News] Debian/Deb Packages Reside in Good and Special Repository

  • Subject: [News] Debian/Deb Packages Reside in Good and Special Repository
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 09 Nov 2009 23:23:23 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

GetDeb.net Repository Makes Newer Ubuntu Apps Easily Available

,----[ Quote ]
| GetDeb's web site has long been the go-to spot
| for Ubuntu (and Debian, and Mint) users to grab
| the latest copies of software not yet released
| by their official repositories. Now GetDeb
| makes it even easier with a repository.
`----

http://lifehacker.com/5400209/getdebnet-repository-makes-newer-ubuntu-apps-easily-available

Like GetDeb? Now you can get their packages from a repo

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the best ways to get updated software
| for Ubuntu Linux, as well as other Debian-based
| distros, is from GetDeb.net. I canât tell you
| how many times Iâve used their packages to get
| an update that isnât available from official
| Ubuntu repositories or PPAâs.
`----

http://www.junauza.com/2009/11/revelation-why-i-still-use-microsoft.html

Recent:

Alien-GUI: an useful software tool to grafically convert deb and tar packages
to RPM

,----[ Quote ]
| Today, in our Linux Page (in Spanish) we added a brief news about Alien-GUI
| which is an interesting software developed to grafically (and automatically)
| convert tar, deb in RPM.
`----

http://galigio.wordpress.com/2009/06/07/alien-gui-an-useful-software-tool-to-grafically-convert-deb-and-tar-packages-to-rpm/

Related:

Install .rpm Files in Debian and Ubuntu

,----[ Quote ]
| Some time you might find some applications are having only .rpm files but
| you want a .deb package for your debian,Ubuntu and other debian derived
| ditributions.If you can?t find .deb debian package in any of the
| debian,ubuntu repositories or elsewhere, you can use the alien
| package converter  to install the .rpm file.
|
| Alien is a program that converts between the rpm, dpkg, stampede slp,
| and slackware tgz file formats. If you want to use a package from
| another distribution than the one you have installed on your system, you
| can use alien to convert it to your preferred package format and install
| it.
`----

http://www.debianadmin.com/install-rpm-files-in-debian-and-ubuntu.html

Thoughts on Package Management