[News] Two New Reviews of Ubuntu GNU/Linux 9.10

  • Subject: [News] Two New Reviews of Ubuntu GNU/Linux 9.10
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 09 Nov 2009 23:27:47 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Ubuntu 9.10 text-installer review

,----[ Quote ]
| Ubuntu 9.10, also known as Karmic koala, is
| the latest version of the popular Linux
| distribution published by Canonical Ltd.
| Aside from Ubuntu Netbook Remix, the netbook
| edition, Canonical also publishes the Live CD
| edition, and the alternate or text-installer
| edition. The Live CD edition is the edition
| that most users are familiar with. Though it
| offers a simple, six-step installation
| routine, the Live CD edition lacks some
| features supported by the alternate installer
| edition. Some people consider these features
| advanced, but I choose to view them as
| standard features of the Linux kernel.
`----

http://linuxbsdos.com/2009/11/09/ubuntu-9-10-text-installer-review/

Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala Review

,----[ Quote ]
| Not a huge change. The boot up timings are
| same as Ubuntu 9.04 and EEEbuntu 3.0
| (review). 40-45 seconds to the main screen
|
| How much space does it take? Out of 4GB SSD,
| after the installation had completed, I had
| 1.6GB free. This is with no swap space. 1.6GB
| should be enough for everything (except huge
| media files) as all the basic apps that one
| would need on a netbook are already built-in.
| From an excellent IM app (Empathy) to web-
| browser to robust office apps, all are there,
| already installed.

`----
http://gadgetmix.com/index/ubuntu-9-10-netbook-remix-on-asus-eee-701/

Recent:

Ubuntu Netbook Remix 9.10 Shines Bright

,----[ Quote ]
| UNR represents a solid step forward for
| netbook users. It provides anyone familiar
| with Ubuntu the same basic commands and
| applications you'll find in the desktop
| addition. It also makes it a snap to sync
| your key files between your main machine
| and a second (or third) painlessly. In
| contrast, Moblin caters to the mobile user
| interested in quick access to their
| favorite applications coupled with a quick
| boot time. Both do what they do well and
| should meet the basic needs of most any
| netbook user.
`----

http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reviews/6893/1/

Linux is becoming the king of netbooks

,----[ Quote ]
| What will be critical for Linux is the rise
| of netbooks that run on ARM processors. As
| the sales of these increase, Orr predicts
| Linux will overtake Windows on netbooks by
| 2013.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1561372/linux-king-netbooks

Working with Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala: initial impressions

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.sutor.com/newsite/blog-open/?p=4617