[News] Death of Software Patents May be Imminent

  • Subject: [News] Death of Software Patents May be Imminent
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 00:08:05 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Supreme Court may invalidate software patents

,----[ Quote ]
| Acquiring, using and defending software
| patents has become big business â sometimes
| playing a vital role in a companyâs success â
| but that could all change if the Supreme
| Court decides software can no longer be
| patented.
`----

http://washington.bizjournals.com/washington/stories/2009/11/09/story3.html?b=1257742800%5E2390791

Analysis: The âLorenzo Jonesâ case emerges

,----[ Quote ]
| It took less than two minutes Monday for the
| high-stakes patent case in the Supreme Court
| to descend to the level of questioning
| whether âLorenzo Jonesâ could get a patent on
| one of his hare-brained inventions, if
| Bernard Bilski and Rand Warsaw could get one
| on their theory about managing business risk.
| âJones,â an old-time radio figure who thought
| his creations in a garage would bring him
| fame and fortune, made an appearance in the
| first question, by Justice Antonin Scalia.
`----

http://www.scotusblog.com/wp/analysis-the-lorenzo-jones-case-emerges/

Bilski Case Provokes Patent Skepticism from Justices

,----[ Quote ]
| The long-awaited Supreme Court patent law
| showdown in Bilski v. Kappos is over, and it
| not looking good for business method patents
| -- or at least the one at issue in the case.
| Justices overall seemed hostile to a broad
| view of patent eligibility that would include
| intangible business processes.
`----

http://legaltimes.typepad.com/blt/2009/11/bilski-case-provokes-patent-skepticism-from-justices.html

Bilski Arguments Complete at the US Supreme Court

http://www.ipwatchdog.com/2009/11/09/bilski-arguments-complete-at-the-us-supreme-court/id=7217/

Recent:

  Even slaves were considered property: South African Minister

,----[ Quote ]
| It is good to remember this at a time when
| organizations aim to justify the
| privatization of knowledge and ideas under
| the guise that this is essential for
| promoting innovation.
|
| In the area of software patents, this is
| nothing but a land grab, a conversion of
| was in the commons into a private
| enclosure.
`----

http://osindia.blogspot.com/2009/10/even-slaves-were-considered-property.html

Turn Around the WTO!

,----[ Quote ]
| Ten years ago, citizen activists shut down
| the World Trade Organization (WTO)
| ministerial in Seattle to protest the
| devastating impact of the WTO's corporate
| globalization agenda on our jobs, wages and
| the environment. Now, big corporations are
| back at it, again pushing an expansion of
| the WTO's power.
`----

http://www.wtoturnaround.org/

Amazon Refuses To Give In; Appeals One-Click Patent Rejection In Canada

http://techdirt.com/articles/20091023/1847116662.shtml

Amazon appeals rejection of its "One Click" patent

http://www.lexology.com/library/detail.aspx?g=075bab6f-ee9d-4e7f-96e3-897497cd7fff&utm_source=Lexology%20Daily%20Newsfeed&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=Lexology%20subscriber%20daily%20feed&utm_content=Lexology%20Daily%20Newsfeed%202009-10-22&utm_term=

Recent:

Microsoft accused of 'ulterior motive' in Linux patent sale

,----[Quote  ]

`----

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2009/09/22/linuxcon_2009_oin/

`----